Protein Skimmer

codered

I am considering the purchase of a Visi Jet Protein Skimmer. It is cheap, but does it work? I have a 30-gallon aquarium. No corals, only fish. (I do have 35 lbs of Live Rock, however.)
Does it make a lot of noise? Does it sit inside the aquarium?

mikeyjer

Never heard of that skimmer before, maybe someone in this forum would know about it. But personally I like my Aqua C Remora skimmer better. Well worth the money spent. Another thing you can look into that fairly inexpensive is coralife super skimmer, but to me that thing is wayyy too bulky and you have to cut the intake tube pretty short to get it to work properly. But it works! I didn't like it so I returned it and gotten something I like better. :happyfish

pfitz44

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
I like my Aqua C Remora skimmer better. Well worth the money spent. :happyfish

:cheer:

luckyever

I get rid of my Visi Jet Protein skimmer after I used it for a month. It produces too much micro bubbles in the tank and you need to constantly adjust the air valve to make this skimmer work. I am really happy with my Aqua C Remora.

lepete

I vote for Remora. It is rated at 75 gallon but I say < 55, perfect for your aquarium. The Remora will hang on the outside of your aquarium.

pfitz44

i gotta 55.. works wicked good on mine..... dont know how i was comtemplating going with out one

murph

If your tank is young go ahead and wait until you can spend some more bucks on a good skimmer. Water changes, light feedings and low bio load in the mean time will probably suffice.
IMO trying to cheap out on a skimmer is almost a complete waist of money. Buying on line is probably a better rout too as your LFS will most likely carry inferior skimmers, i.e, seaclones prizm visajet, at almost a 100 percent mark up or more.
Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the real thing but in the long run you wont regret it.