Protein Skimmer?

tarrahsmom

What is a good low to mid price skimmer/ i am going to have to get one soon and I am at a loss as to which ones are good and whick ones are a waste of money.

ejensen

I would go with a AquaC, Precision Marine or a reef devil. They are about the same price and work very good. There are lots of expensive skimmers out there but its for the extreme reefers that go for the bling under the tank.

I saw a Jebo on ---- (they have lots of skimmers) going for $.01 with a shipping fee of $29.99. Not sure how well Jebo's work but they are reasonable on ----. If interested check into Jebo's first.

stanlalee

exactly how much do you plan on spending? mid price means different things to different folks. hang on tank or sump use?

al mc

For in sump, consider the ASM line (mid price?? $300) or if hang on,a Remora Pro will be stretched to do 100 gallons, but is a good skimmer. If you want something inexpensive that can be both in sump or hang on consider the Coralife line. There are better skimmers but they do a good job for the money.
However, if you have extra money to spend it is always best to spend it on the best skimmer you can afford, IMHO.

dawman

I`ve heard many good things on the Coralife Super Skimmers . I just found the 220 gal model for $104 on that famous auction site . Gonna put it in the sump of my 135 .

reefkprz

corallife super skimmers are great for in sump set ups so you dont have to use the crappy bubble diffuser, they almost always put bubbles in the tank in the HOB on tank set up. also they have a bad habit of overfilling and dumping water so in sump IS the best waty to set them up. I like mine as for skimming effectiveness, I dont like the crash it caused from dumping 10G of water on my floor, and messing up a bunch of stuff. when I was away. decent price effective, but has a few drawbacks.

ct_vol

I love my ASM's... I have a G2, a G3, and a G4+... I will however admit that I'm slowly trading them in for Deltecs... My G2 is for sale if you're interested... Should be fine for 100g so long as it isn't heavily stocked...

joncat24

for a 100 gallon with a sump I would get a mrc-mr1 or a etss reef devil.
the becketts and downdrafts will destroy the asm or coralife.
They are very easy to set and once you set it, you don't have to mess with it.
another good choice would be a aqua c ev 120 or 180. They are awesome skimmers as well.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by joncat24
the becketts and downdrafts will destroy the asm or coralife.

Help me understand this statement. My ASM has been running fine, but it's fairly new. Should I be worried? My tank is 125 gallons.

joncat24

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Help me understand this statement. My ASM has been running fine, but it's fairly new. Should I be worried? My tank is 125 gallons.
I just personally feel that the becketts and downdrafts are way better skimmers. I had a coralife ss220 and replaced it with a reef devil deluxe and it way outperformed it. Now I have a diy beckett skimmer which is a copy of the mrc design that is absoulutely amazing. The needlwheels are in favor because of less power consumption, but I prefer more raw power myself.

al mc

I believe joncat did not mean that the beckett/downdraft would 'destroy' your coralife machine literally. He meant that the MRC's with the downdraft/beckett foam technology employed to remove the organic waste , in his opinion, was superior to the ASM
technology which, like the Coralife, uses 'needlewheels' to mix the air and water to produce foam.
I have been using Remoras for hang ons and ASM for in sumps but recently decided to try an MRC2R, the recirculating out of sump model from MRC and it is 'better' than the other skimmers noted, but requires both a supply pump and recirculating pump.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by joncat24
I just personally feel that the becketts and downdrafts are way better skimmers. I had a coralife ss220 and replaced it with a reef devil deluxe and it way outperformed it. Now I have a diy beckett skimmer which is a copy of the mrc design that is absoulutely amazing. The needlwheels are in favor because of less power consumption, but I prefer more raw power myself.
OK, I understand now. I didn't know Beckett and Downdraft was a brand name of skimmer (you didn't use capital letters
), I thought it was something in the tank, like the flow of water or something, that would "destroy" the ASM skimmers. So now that I feel pretty silly for asking the question, I'll go now.

BTW, how much does the Beckett skimmer cost?

joncat24

beckett is not a brand name, it is the type of head used to create the foam. also downdraft is not a brand name either, it is another technology used to mix air and water in a tube by shredding it with bio-balls.
The brand names are MRC and Precision Marine for some examples of beckett skimmers and ETSS for the downdrafts,,,,
Is my use of caps ok now???

MRC- my reef creations if you would like to take a look at them

al mc

Beckett Foam Injectors and Downdraft are terms used to describe the technology employed to create the 'foam' in a skimmer. MRC is a brand that utilizes this technology.

joncat24

Originally Posted by Al Mc
Beckett Foam Injectors and Downdraft are terms used to describe the technology employed to create the 'foam' in a skimmer. MRC is a brand that utilizes this technology.
thats what I said too...wasnt it??.....LOL