Protein Skimmer...

I have a Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer and I have it plugged in and it doesn't collect anything I'm not quite sure what else to do....
So I'm going to buy a new one.
I have a 55 gallon tank and would like suggestions on a good skimmer.
Thanks,
Amy

jpc763

Amy,
I had a Seaclone 100 skimmer and I found that it took a day or two to start collecting anything. Is the airhose attached?
When I got mine, I set it up in my fuge instead of hang on the back. I hooked up the pump and closed the airline. I slowly opened it up until I had a good vortex and then left it alone for a day or two.
After 2 weeks, I would have to pull it and clean the whole unit, but it would have collected stuff.
Because of the constant maintanence, I got a Aqua C Urchin (in sump version of the remora) and it is fantastic.
J

fishermon

I switched to a Coralife Super Skimmer & it does very well. I think it's a good skimmer for the $. It will hob, but if at all possible put it inside a sump. Search posts for flood & you'll see why.

usc932000

I recently added a Coralife Super Skimmer, I cant complain...it works well although it flucuates on me so I have to adjust it from time to time. I have it in my sump although it can be used as a HOB. I would try a Remora. Heard nothing but great things about them.

Yeah I had a flood happen with my tank when I tried to have a wet/dry filter...long story...so I CANNOT stand another flood!! lol
So maybe I'll shell out more money for a HOB that wont have a chance to flood...sorry that happend to you!! I know how it is, I had to completly break down my whole tank, move it and set it up again.