Protein Skimmer?

Looking to purchase a protein skimmer....The current set up which I have is under gravel filter system, with a hang on marineland land hand on canister. The tank is 40 gal, I am looking for some recommendation on a skimmer. I would like something that would be a hang, since I do not have a sump. If anyone could point the good and the duds out that would be great!

1990jpyj

i am looking at something similar but for my newer 55g set up.i dont know what to buy as far as this one goes

1990jpyj

i am looking at someday soon to put in coral, but for now its fish only. price isnt that big of a factor. i dont need the best but i would like something that is good and will last for years and years with no problems

mr_x

i like the aqua medic turbofloater for a decent HOB. i've tried the aqua-c hang on and was quite disappointed. the coralife super skimmer is fair, but if i had a 55, i'd go with the 125 model.

nordy

I have the Seaclone 150 on my 55 gal reef and it has worked superbly for me over the past 3 years. Requires maintenance (cleaning the foam filter on the MJ 1200 pump), and periodic adjusting of the air valve but since I went from FOWLR to a reef tank, I hardly ever have to clean the foam filter. Good price point on this one too!
Yeah, I know a lot of people here are down on the Seaclone, but when I tried the Aqua-C Remora, as a replacement for the Seaclone I have to say the Aqua-C is a major P.O.S. Cost more that the Saeclone, and well, just didn't work at all. Put the Seaclone back in, and it started working right away, consostently producing a good volume of concentrated skimmate.

errattiq

I LOOOVE my aqua c remora LOL, I dont know how you guys dont like it, mine pulls out nasty crap every day....

mr_x

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2756020
I LOOOVE my aqua c remora LOL, I dont know how you guys dont like it, mine pulls out nasty crap every day....
what skimmers have you owned to compare it to?

ibew41

had the aqua c,octopus, seaclone 150,and the prizim the aqua c was loud but worked the seaclone,and prizim where junk the octopus has been the best performer so far

cveverly

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2755575
i am looking at someday soon to put in coral, but for now its fish only. price isnt that big of a factor. i dont need the best but i would like something that is good and will last for years and years with no problems
Octopus make nice budget skimmers. They range from $120 - $250. If price is not an object look at C&C Marine or Deltec. They run $400 - $550.
All of these are hang on and plug and play. They don't require a lot of tinkering or adjusting.

I have coral in my tank grew on its own and seems to be doing well...but I am want to make sure I have a skimmer to knock out anything in the water. I have a 40 gal...Any ideas ?

cveverly

C&C Mairne is the best bang for the buck on a high end skimmer. I have an Octopus BH-100F on my 46 gallon and it does a good job. It is a really nice skimmer for a budget hang-on.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2755921
i like the aqua medic turbofloater for a decent HOB. i've tried the aqua-c hang on and was quite disappointed. the coralife super skimmer is fair, but if i had a 55, i'd go with the 125 model.
The aqua-c hang on has a break in period which will take some time and cause a few micro bubbles. It can be a bit loud early on as well.
After the break in period the micro bubbles and noise will go away. The only issue I have now is that I feel as if I have to clean it every day. Not because the collection cup is full but I think the foam at the top of the collection cup is blocking new skim mate. I clean my collection cup every day but If I had to guess I would say that the collection cup would be full after 10 days.

mr_x

the microbubbles and noise didn't go away in mine during the whole 7 months i owned it. the skimmate was quite minimal as well. almost non existent.

B

bigtankbigfish

I have a red sea prizm HOB on my 30 gallon. Its the first skimmer ive ever owned so I couldnt tell U how it is. The guy at the store said it was cheaper than the other brand and did the same thing. I get a fair amount of build up each day but i wll admit its the noisiest thing hooked up to my tank.
I plan to move this to my 45 very soon so we'll see how my levels look