protein skimmer

nycbob

hv it on my fowlr. not as nice as the octopus skimmer on my reef. octopus is nicer and quieter for the same price.

mr_x

i don't like the remora at all. mine was very loud, and produced very little skimmate. i have heard the octopus skimmers are way better.

ibew41

agree with above posts remora was loud and did not skim that well now have an octopus hob

forsfed50

What would be the best rule of thumb for sizing up a
protein skimmer? Or how many gallons should a skimmer
be rated for to keep a reef system ? I believe a larger
skimmer per gallon would be in order. Tank is in fact a 75 gal.
Inhabitants are various corals, fish and inverts. Ordering
a skimmer today.

forsfed50

red sea berlin x2 225 fish only/ 75 sps for 235 dollars or reef octopus
bh-300 dual hang-on 550 liters/145 gal 130 dollars.

ibew

if your going to go aqua c go with the EV series I have the 120 and it blows the octopus dnw120 recirculating skimmer out of the water I am driving the EV with a quite one 3000 and I have the Octo gravity feed on a gate valve if that makes any difference both tanks are close one is a 60 and the other is 55gal and close to evenly stocked and setup very similar except for the skimmers

ibew

I had remoras before there not bad but for what you spend I would go with a insump or inline skimmer instead of a HOT I do not suggest it for a 75 at all matter of fact I wouldnt run a remora on anything bigger than a 55 lightly stocked

mr_x

my remora didn't even handle my 30 cube. i wouldn't recommend it on a goldfish bowl.

nigerbang

DAS and Deltecs can be hard to find... Google My Reef Creations.. Hence MRC they are a local atlanta company how makes some of the top skimmers... Makes octos look like seaclowns

natclanwy

I have an AquaC EV-180 powered by a mag 9 and love it, its been by fare the best skimmer I have owned and seen in operation. It pulls a steady amount of skimmate out everyday and the only adjustments I have had to make were when I first set it up last march. I haven't touched it since other than to clean the collection cup, and I checked the injection nozzle about a month ago. I know a couple of people that have the HOB versions one has a remora and the other a urchin and both are very happy with their skimmers and neither is noisy. The urchin when we first installed it was a little noisy but after a week it was pretty much silent.