protein skimmer

clownfish2

For the money what would be the best skimmer that I should get for my new setup. It will be a 55gal. with no more than 6 fish. Please let me know what you have and the ease of maintence. Brand and size would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

T

toungetwster

I use a Seaclone 100..it works just fine for me...also a 55 gal. No problems...with use or maint. I bought it used off this board....I'm happy!

radcast2

Originally posted by tlk
Is a protein skimmer necessary for a FO tank?

I once asked and was told not necessary but i very good idea as to help keep the crud out of the water. It can only help in keeping the tank healthy.

lesleybird

Hi, I have been running a fish only (with crabs, shrimp and snails) in a 40 gallon for two years with no problem, water quality is good. The catch is that I only have four fish and do a 15 gallon water change every two weeks with gravel vaccuming.. I ordered a Seaclone skimmer that came last week.......and then right before I was going to set it up I bought a live orange ball sponge. I read that the skimmer would take all the organic proteins that the sponge likes out of the water. Now I take the sponge out every three days and put him in a bucket of tank water with live plankton so it won't starve. I named him sponge Bob! Lesley

tlk

Be careful when you are handling sponge bob. When you are moving it from tank to tank, be sure to bag it under water each time you move it so air doesn't touch it.
I am sure someone else will correct me if wrong, but I would think moving any animal every three days would be incredibly stressful.

clownfish2

I guess I should let everyone know that I am going to have LR,corals and every thing else that I can sneek into the tank without goofing it up. I also want to thank everybody that has posted a reply to this thread. It has been a great help. Anymore different skimmers out there. If so please reply.:)

reefnut

In a FO tank a skimmer may not be necessary but it would sure be worth the money. From what I understand there are three ways to extract nutrients from a tank... Skimmer, algae & water changes. If a FO tank is heavily stocked and unless you have a good sized fuge for macro algae you will be doing lots of water changes.
I ran a HO Red Sea Prizm skimmer in my 55g and was very happy with it.

patricko

I used a berlin skimmer on my 55 and it worked great. I didn't have one on the tank for the first few months and the conditions were good. When I put it on the tank It seemd to me that the water was a little more clean. My coraline alge seemed to spred a little better also.

gregvabch

i initially bought a seaclone 100 for my 55 gal, and during the course of me trying to figure out the cause of my nitrate problem, bought a berlin turbo classic. the difference in performance is amazing. both worked, but the berlin definetly works better. once again, you get what you pay for.

aileena

if you want a hang on skimmer and not one for a sump, that will work up to about 90g get the remora pro by Aqua C...I am currently looking for a used one on ----...they are supposed to wrok great....

beaslbob

Originally posted by Clownfish2
For the money what would be the best skimmer that I should get for my new setup. It will be a 55gal. with no more than 6 fish. Please let me know what you have and the ease of maintence. Brand and size would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

I recommend you not use a skimmer. Especially with a FO tank. That way you won't have any maintenance for the skimmer and more money for fish.

clownfish2

:) First and foremost I want to thank each and everyone one of you who helped me out on this thread. Here is the skimmer that I wound up purchaseing right here on this forum. It is a Kent Nautilus TE. I am very pleased with this skimmer. I wish everyone here great luck with there saltwater setups. Until next time,
Have a great day:D

robofish

I dont use a skimmer, I will probably start again... I dont like them at all... Big pain, but much less of a pain than a 15% changeout every 2 weeks to control the nitrates...