Protein Skimmers

nyfireman3

Does anyone use any of these or know if there any good ?
http://www.championlighting.com/e/en...m=main:t5singl
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...o=ps-acev91000
https://www.***********.com/md_viewI...roduct=YER1155
My Reef Creations MR-3
Aerofoamer 630 $549 8"X8"X30" 100-500 Gal 1000 gph
Aerofoamer 824 $599 10"X10"X24" 50-500 Gal 1000 gph
please feel free to throw in any suggestions on a skimmer for my new 300g tank it will have about 300lbs LR no sand and the sump is gonna be a 125g filled 1/3 up im figuring a skimmer that can handle a 500g tank would work g8 thanks
Nick

thangbom

whoa!! man u got some $$$ there bro... wont u make a skimmer like 'bang guy' he got a gravity fed pvc skimmer he meade.. he says it work super good.....

robchuck

Those are all fantastic skimmers on your list, provided they are fed by an appropriate pressure-rated pump. Here are my opinions on each skimmer:
Turboflotor 5000 - This looks like a fantastic skimmer and is tied with a Beckett skimmer for my favorite choice for skimming the 260 I am starting to put together.
AquaC EV-1000 - These are great skimmers, but they are very sensitive to changes and require regular attention to keep tuned; I run an EV-180 on my current tank and feel it's a much better skimmer than the comparable Euro Reef that it replaced.
Euro Reef - I feel that these skimmers are over-priced in their current design, especially the CS12 series; there is word of a new impeller design that will be introduced in a few months that will make these skimmers perform better
MRC MR-3 - A nice, simple Beckett design; Andy's service is first rate
Aerofoamer - These skimmers are built with the finest attention to detail, but I still feel that they are over-priced compared to other Becketts, especially dual-injector models
Here are a few suggestions for some other skimmers:
Barr Aquatic Systems (Super-size skimmers: SK5200, SK4200, SK4000, SK5000) - These are the best-designed and best-built Beckett skimmers on the market in my opinion; I am having a hard time choosing between the SK4200 and the Turboflotor 5000
ASM G5 or G6 - Either of these skimmers would provide alot of power
Best of luck with your choice, and be sure to let us know what skimmer you end up going with!

nyfireman3

Yeah im leaning towards the MRC or the turbofloater 5000 single it says its good for up to 1000g and i will have about 300g in my system what would you do between them 2?
Nick

flatzboy

The aquac ev is a awesome skimmer I run one on my 46g. reef the ev120 and it is externally plumbed it pulls out about a gallon every 2-3 weeks and is run wet, it is sensitve to feeding though but I've ran it for a few months and I only adjusted it when I set it up and has been going fine since. Out of the 2 skimmers you've narrowed it to I would go with the beckett..:D

robchuck

Beckett is the type of injector used in MRC, Aerofoamer, Barr Aquatic, Precision Marine, etc. skimmers for mixing air and water to create foam. A Beckett 1408 injector (the one used in all of these skimmers) is like a venturi on steroids.

golfish

Good stuff there from RobChuck..About the only other skimmer I would check out is the Geo..I saw another one in action the other day. These are very good skimmers at a good price.