Protein Skimmers

wildncrazyone

Hello,I am about to purchase a protein skimmer for my 35 gallon tank. I am going to set up my 55 soon. What is a good quality skimmer for the price that will work on both tanks? I would prefer a hang on type.
thanks

frightmare

I'm getting this one...
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer.
From what I have read on the forums its great for a hang on. Just IMO.
But as you will see, the protein skimmer topic has a thousand different views, everyone has there own favorite. :)

wildncrazyone

Thanks for the advice. I was about to buy the Bak-Pak Dual, I have been reading some bad remarks about this skimmer. Anyone have one?

i used to have my skimmer hanging on the back of my tank but it was spewing like a billion tiny air bubbles into my tank.
I then decided to put it in my wet/dry filter, but despite numerous adjustments to the airflow, the collection cup never seems to have anything in it....
I suppose either I have a shitty skimmer or it just needs to be broken in more?

latinlord

I got this one... Tunze Doc Skimmer 9010
So far it is incredible... quiet, and works really quickly!
It is expensive... but they have cheaper models or your tank size...

kingtriton

I have this one for my 55g, its rated for 225g and works very well
The Berlin X2 is the latest evolution of the popular Berlin range of skimmers, used by thousands of satisfied aquarists around the world since 1993.
The X2 offers a 50% increase in skimming performance over the old model, while preserving its predecessor’s small footprint and compact dimensions.
50% increase in skimming efficiency over previous model
Enhanced Triple-Pass™ reaction chamber
Patented FoamView™ collection cup
Super compact design
Quick-fit inner parts for easy maintanence
High performance pump included
Designed for both in-sump and hang-on use

rs1831

I just got a octopus 1000 for my 40 gallon tank. Before that I had a remora and its like day and night between the 2 skimmers. I would definitely go with the octopus!

uofmpaco

I just bought a coralife skimmer for my 125 gal tank. I cant get it to stop flowing so much foam that it fills up in 20 min. I have it on the lowest setting. Not to mention there are a ton of micro bubbles. Any thoughts.