Protein Skimmers

T

thats tangy

I have a 55g fo sw, ls, no lr, Fluval 304 canister filter. I wasn't gonna get a protein skimmer, but I guess I'll have to breakdown and get one. I don't want to spend too much. I've decided on either the Seaclone 100 or the CPR BackPac 2 with biobale. Now I know I'm gonna get 10 people telling me that the Seaclone is great and then 10 people telling me it sucks; and same with the CPR. But I was hoping for some input on either or both......so let it rip! Oh and can you tell me about how noisy they are, because I've read on here about some of the skimmers being a bit loud. Thanx

wamp

Sounds like you already answered your own question:)
I personally don't like eitheir. Berlin classic would be my choice but if money is an object, SeaClone 100 would be my choice.

B

bcarp

I have the CPR Bak Pak. It works awesome and is not very loud at all. Instead of the bio bale cpr. Get the Reef CPR Bak Pak skimmer. You will have less bubbles getting into your tank from the return tube. If you get the one with bio bale (like I have) don't bother using the bio bale. I took it out and put my heater in there instead. You should already have Biological filteration in your tank I am guessing. You will need a bubble trap for it too. I have the external bubble trap and it works good. I think you will be happy with a Bak Pak!

T

thats tangy

Thanks for the responses. I just looked at the Prizm hang on skimmer. The blue box where everything is inside the box. Does anyone have experience with that one?

rkm

Got one. It Works. Noise level i would say its the loudest thing on my tank. I am new so i cant realy compare it to anything. maybe someone else can help better

cap'n pete

I don't recommend the Prizm. It's too touchy to get it right and then it produces less than adequate waste. As far as noise, any skimmer is going to be louder than a filter because of the bubbles produced. If quiet is a must you are either going to have to get an inside the tank skimmer or put it in the cabinet in the sump.