Protein Skimming

hairy tang

I have a 125 gallon tank with very few fish and a few anemone with 60 plus pounds of live rock. I am currently having huge issues with hair algae and have had my skimmer of to keep the anemones alive while I underfeed my tank. After reading various posts I turned it back on last night. Does this make sense.
Would lack of oxygen in the water increase hair algae or slow it? If so how do you easily increase oxygen in your tank and can you do it in your sump rather than in the tank.

fishguy

Turning on your skimmer was a good move on your part if you ask me. The skimmer is going to remove nurients that are essential for hair algae to grow. Without the nutrients they will just dwindle away. If you're worried about lack of oxygen, try positioning a powerhead near the surface of the tank to increase water tension in turn increasing the oxygen level. Maybe try a water change also. HTH
Happy Fish Keepin'

mlm

"increase water tension" you mean increase surface area which gives oxygen more area to disolve.

scfishman

You might want to try a product called PhosGuard that is produced by SeaChem. It will take out the high Phospate levels that usually cause algea problems. SeaChem also has a product called Purigen that is a high powered product that acts like Carbon but it does not take out your very important trace elements! I work at LFS and these are the products SeaChem recommend we use on our 3,000 gallon, 110 tank system.