protien skimmer(changing pump)

hi. can anyone tell me if i can put a bigger pump on my protien skimmer. its a excaliber skimmer and has a rio 800 pump on it could i go bigger pump to make it work better or would it just not do anything more than it does now with the 800 on it

robchuck

As long as the skimmer can handle the increased flow, I don't see why it would hurt to add a larger pump. The more water flow a skimmer allows, the more air it can pull in, and that all results in more and nastier skimmate!

not too sure about the excalibur line, but I know that the CPR bak pak line comes with the same Rio power head. A very common "modification" is to swap the rio out with a maxi-jet 1200 that has the venturi adapter. It really isnt a modification though because the two pumps are interchangeable. I am about to make the swap on my bak pak, but so far I hear nothing but good things about the MJ upgrade. If you do some searching for some PREMIUM AQUATICS stuff, i am sure you will find the venturi kit for the MJ. Its like $4.

I have an in-sump model of that skimmer and I put a mag5 on it and it as worked great.I think mine is called the SV-2 or something along those lines and the mag5 helped quite a bit.I got a great deal on the skimmer when I got it,it came with the pump and it only cost 109.99 but that was about 2 years ago,now the same skimmer goes for about 139.99 the last I checked.