Protien Skimmer Question/Recomendation

mikediii

Hey all, I have a 75g reef setup with a 29 gallon sump/refugium. The bio-load on the setup is moderate. I am looking to purchase a new skimmer. I had a SeaClone 100 and I cant seem to get it to work properly, basically The collection cup fills up too rapidly and overflows out of the hole on the top.
I am interested in purchasing a new skimmer that will be sufficient for my system and would like to keep the cost down a bit. I had considered purchasing another SeaClone, the one I have is improvised because some of the parts were missing when I got it (used) and Im thinking that is why its not working properly. I was also looking at a Pro Clear Aquatics skimmer. I know these are lower end skimmers but they are more reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with these brands or recommend a better one? I would like to keep the cost under $150. Thanks for any help or advice.

S

saltfreak4

LOL, I always laugh at the fact that people have a sump/refugium, the size of my tank. Anyway, people on here seem to really like the coralife skimmers, especially for the price. They are a venturi system.

mikediii

OK. I found two different types of Coralife Skimmers. One is a Venturi Skimmer for $100 and requires a 650-750gph pump. Question would that size be sufficient for my system? They also have a Needle Wheel system rated for 125g that includes a pump for $115. Im not too sure on which method Needle Wheel vs. Venturi is better. Would anyone suggest one of these over the other?

S

saltfreak4

With everything I have read I think that the venturi is better, but wait for someone else to back me up on this one. I am going to get a coralife, too, and--so far--I am going with the venturi. It has the best rating for mixing the water and air. Also, the wheels loose needles, again from what I have read, not going off my experience.

stanlalee

Make sure you get the "needle wheel" coralife. they are all venturi but the one you are referring to does not come with a pump and is just moderately cheaper. I dont know/heard of anyone who has purchased that model. It only comes in the 220 model. By the time you add a pump that may or may not work as well as the coralife pump you might as well have got the model with the pump. For $115 @ the "doctors" you can get the 125 needle wheel with pump. You have a lot of skimmer options you can look into depending on how much you want to spend. Octopus/Pacific coast are also great value oriented skimmers that work well.

stanlalee

Make sure you get the "needle wheel" coralife. they are all venturi but the one you are referring to does not come with a pump and is just moderately cheaper. I dont know/heard of anyone who has purchased that model. It only comes in the 220 model. By the time you add a pump that may or may not work as well as the coralife pump you might as well have got the model with the pump. For $115 @ the "doctors" you can get the 125 needle wheel with pump. You have a lot of skimmer options you can look into depending on how much you want to spend. Octopus/Pacific coast are also great value oriented skimmers that work well. There are better skimmers as you climb the price scale.