Protien Skimmer...what exactly does it do?

sloth54

Is a protien skimmer basically the same as a filter? I posted about getting another filter for my 55 (i already have an emperor 400) and some people are saying i should get a protien skimmer. I know it takes out the waste and stuff, but would it be more beneficial than another filter?

sloth54

ok, i just did a search, and i was thinking of buying a seaclone 100 since i cant really afford much more, but no one seems to liek them. Im really stuck on what to do, i can either just leave only my emperor 400, or add a seaclone, or add a fluval 304... Any suggestions please1

dzones

I personally feel a protein skimmer is better than a second filter because...
1) using a skimmer will ease up the load of your emp. 400
2) it does a different type of filtering where it removes the waste product from the water that causes ammonia instead of just having those particles sit in your tank filtering system driving your levels to toxicity.
I really feel if you are having a sw tank you almost need it on anything 55g and higher.

dzones

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the seaclone. I can tell ya I have a b erlin on my 125 and it is great but a lot of people don't like those either...i only have a prism red sea on my 55 which is not exactly well liked either but it keeps my tank pristine so no complaints on either from me.
If you look in the classifieds here on this forum you can probably get a great deal on a used skimmer. I got both of mine from here.
if you can't see one then place a wanted ad.
Good luck!
Dave

wwfstyle

If $ is an issue try going to your LFS and see if they have a used one that you can buy from them. That is how I started that way when it breas down you will have a better feel about what you want and how it works. Why buy new if you dont know if you like it? Over 50% of my tank was bought used from my LFS and as things break down I try to upgrade and understand it better. Hope this puts some thought in your head and good luck. Rick

squidd

My Sea Clone 100 Skimmer works fine...I got it for $10.00 in the discount bin at the LFS...Probably because nobody likes them :D
However, it is on a twenty gal tank and I don't think it would be efficient on a much larger tank (like your 55) even if it is rated for 100 gal.
You may want to look at the 150 for a few dollars more...or ask around, I also have purchased a lot of equipment used from people who have upgraded or quit.
But properly adjusted and set up, My experiance has been that a Sea Clone does indeed work as designed.
:cool:

nm reef

There is a very good article prepared by Frank Marini that provides a ton of outstanding information on "Understanding Your Skimmer".... The full title of the article is:
"Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer"
If you can locate the article it will provide plenty of information about them and their application as a means of filtration.:cool: