Protien skimmer

B

brigbills

There is nothing in my collector for my Protien skimmer I have tryied to change the settings. Are there common problems with this things?

jtrzerocool

my skimmer took a few days to start working properly however mine is a DIY skimmer. i dont know it that would affect it or not.

B

brigbills

then whe i took it out to clean it i messed it up. I have the tight funnel going up the middle.

trippkid

Seaclone skimmer, have not used one in years, but have heard that they can be a little troublesome to set up at first, when you get it it works OK. this is what some would say as a pretty low-end skimmer, but it does work. Maybe do a search for Seaclone Protein skimmer adjustments or something like that.

B

brigbills

Hasn't Worked in a month or so.
Thank you i will look for some ajustments

srfisher17

Skimmers usually take a while to start collecting crud, also products like "Stress Coat", which are designed to help a fish's slime coat, can prevent skimmers from working.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Skimmers usually take a while to start collecting crud, also products like "Stress Coat", which are designed to help a fish's slime coat, can prevent skimmers from working.
Actually, stress coats and products of that nature, will cause the opposite effect. They will make your skimmer go crazy and overskim.

fallinapart

Originally Posted by brigbills
There is nothing in my collector for my Protien skimmer I have tryied to change the settings. Are there common problems with this things?
Looks like a seaClone 100 which I am using, sorry to report. It is very difficult to get adjusted, just keep playing with it and try to get the incoming water level to spin up to the bottom of the cup and no bubbles into the tank. Mine is working but it was a headache to get adjusted and now I'm afraid to touch it
just keep at it or replace it, it can work correctly.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Actually, stress coats and products of that nature, will cause the opposite effect. They will make your skimmer go crazy and overskim.
Thanks! I knew these products did something to skimmers. I remembered wrong and will start double checking when I'm not sure. It makes sense, a fish's slime must be mostly protein, so products to replace the slime coat would be too. I guess that's why they they're called protein skimmers! DUH!! (Getting older stinks sometimes!)