Pseudochromis question

smickied

I'm being over run by bristle worms and was thinking of adding a pseudochromi to help control the population (from what i've read they eat them:confused: "
Does anybody have any experiences with them? Any breeds better at it than others? Will the eat my pistol shromp?
Any input would help.

dburr

Most are reef safe, I have had a couple different ones. Be sure to have a top, they WILL jump. Which one are you looking at?
Arrow crabs hunt for worms also, but they won't live as long as a fish.

smickied

I'm keeping my choices open right now. I figured somebody has to have some first hand stories they would like to share. positive or negitive.

kablamo

ok, listen, and listen closely, I have had a bicolor psuedochromis for about 4 months, it was my first fish, and is now in a five gallon by himself because i haven't the heart to get rid of him even though he was the terror of my tank. Anyway, i had a lawnmower blennie, had being the operative word, who starved to death because whenever he came out to graze, the BP would scare him back to his hole.
I had to take back a cinnamon clown, (note that a cinnamon clown is about 3 times the size of the BP) because I didn't have the five to put the bicolor psuedochromis in, the cinnamon had chunks out of all of his fins.
My sixline wrasse is missing a fin and has chunks out of his tail from one day of being with the BP. Thats when i had enough, the BP is now in quaranteen and I am getting another hospital tank this weekend.
the BP is a murderous monster, who as soon as he gets used to your tank, will begin a reign of terror.
To conrol pods, i suggest a sixline wrasse, I've had mine with a false perk for a few weeks so far and there have been no problems thus far.
HTH
BTW, sixline wrasses eat more pods anyway, they spend all of their waking hours foraging the rocks for pods.

jourdy

ive actually seen a purple pseudochromis eat a small pistol shrimp. it bit it's head off first.

ronwar

When I started my Nano at work, the first thing I added was a cleaner shrimp. The second thing I added was a purple pseudochromis. Im not saying any names, but the next day...NO shrimp

jam marine

be very careful with adding that specie of fish they become very aggressive,i just had to remove my purple one,not worth the anguish they can cause.:nope:

smickied

Thank you so much!!! this is the reason why I love this board, first hand experiences.
:D I am the appitimy murphy's law...if it can go wrong with me it does!!!
keep the go info comming

mrmaroon

I had a diadema. It was also aggresive. I believe it ate my shrimp! I kept it with a large pair of maroons and a good sized blue damsel. I would not et one with nonagressive fish and they do love to jump.

jourdy

yeah, a sixline would be my suggestion too. but IMO, SOMETIMES, they get aggressive.
I also heard that peppermint shrimps eat bristleworms. Maybe some people here can confirm it for you. :)