Puffed Puffer... Cutie

fishlawyer

Hey All
Here is Cutie the Puffer. He is only about 1 inch long and is absolutely amazing! I was cleaning the tank yesterday and I think I got a little too close for his comfort so he puffed! First and hopefully the last time I see him do this, since it isn't real good for him. I grabbed the camera and here he is! (The 2nd pic was taken about 2 hours later)

dreamweaver

COOL!!!! Not having any experience with puffers (and frankly no plans to have one) - I'd like to ask simply out of curiosity... When puffers "puff", is it a gradual inflation or immediate full blown inflation? I would assume that since it's a defense mechanism it would be full blown - ??? - but not sure... Also, when they feel the danger has passed, how do they deflate? And lastly, other than presenting themselves as a larger more intimidating presence are there other benefits to the "puffing"? Like I said, just curious... (Great pics by the way!)

se1an

I would like one but my mom will scare it to death because she messes with my freshwater puffer.

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by dreamweaver
http:///forum/post/2979483
COOL!!!! Not having any experience with puffers (and frankly no plans to have one) - I'd like to ask simply out of curiosity... When puffers "puff", is it a gradual inflation or immediate full blown inflation? I would assume that since it's a defense mechanism it would be full blown - ??? - but not sure... Also, when they feel the danger has passed, how do they deflate? And lastly, other than presenting themselves as a larger more intimidating presence are there other benefits to the "puffing"? Like I said, just curious... (Great pics by the way!)
It only takes my little guy about 2 seconds to completely puff up and then, he wiggles and expells the water until he becomes little again. Pretty cool to watch, too bad it isn't too good for him.

oh my gosh. my girlfriend just had a heart attack. she has wanted a porcupine puffer forever. unfortunately we only have a 10 and a 60. but that is way adorable.

505titan

hay does your puffer sit on the bottom of your tank. i have a puffer for 3 days and he just ate once look is he sick

fishlawyer

To be honest with you, my puffer spends about 6-8 hours a day sitting on the bottom. The rest of the time he is exploring the tank and picking at things. I have heard though, that some puffers do spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom.

leftyblite

Originally Posted by FishLawyer
http:///forum/post/2980704
To be honest with you, my puffer spends about 6-8 hours a day sitting on the bottom. The rest of the time he is exploring the tank and picking at things. I have heard though, that some puffers do spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom.
My puffer built a nest in the sand in the corner of my tank and would rest there when no one was around

leftyblite

Forgot to add, he once puffed up and i'm not sure why. I was talking on the phone and walked by the tank and dropped the phone as there was a fish the size of a softball in my tank.
Couldn't get a good pict though as by the time I thought about it he had gone almost back to normal.