Puffer Acclimation and more. HELP

tonynader

Hello i just purchased a stars and stripes puffer today for my 80 gallon salt setup. Im fairly new to puffers, and was wondering acclimation techniques, and what to look out for when you first place it in the tank. Its belly is a little, just a little sucked in, was wondering if thats ok. And at the store its skin was darker, and now lighter after been placed in tank. just wondering if all this is normal.
Thanks!!!

R

rcreations

The slightly sunken in belly is normal, especially since the store doesn't feed them well.
One thing to be careful with stars & stripes, they're biters. Not that they're mean but they like to sample stuff, meaning it'll bite any exposed cables in the tank (like the one going to your powerheads), anything they see. Mine bit the whole end of a glass thermometer. Clean bite too. So my adivice is to hide any cables the best you can and put any glass thermometer if you have one in the sump.
Acclimation is just like any other fish, I've always drip acclimated my puffers and never had one die. Try not to net it. Scoop it out with a container. If you net it, it'll panic and puff up and if it swallows a lot of air, you can have problems.

tonynader

ok wow thanks that helped a lot!!! :) is the coloration ok that i mentioned? And i will for sure hide all cables and thermo thanks for that. I did the drip acclimation as well. He seems fine swimming in front of the glass tank. but the only problem is my Niger Trigger seems suspicious and took a little bite at puffer tail but no harm done. Hopefully that will settle. Ive left the lights off and am going to all night to maybe help with that.

R

rcreations

Yeah, they change color based on their mood. It's normal. Lighter/faded means it was stressed out, which can be expected after being moved. Good luck with it, they're really nice fish.

R

rcreations

Not all of them eat right away. Mine did. Make sure to feed it chunky foods and feed it raw shell on shrimp. Leave the shell on the shrimp and let the puffer bite into it... it's good for its teeth. I always hand fed mine but you can put the shrimp on an algae clip and let the puffer munch on it for a few minutes.

R

rcreations

That works too. Keep the diet varied though... shrimp, clam, silversides, squid.

tonynader

Today is its 3rd day. its kinda hangin out in a cave on the rocks. that normal? and also rests on a power head for some reason at some points. Please lemme know if this is a bad sign
thanks

S

siptang

I had a porcupine puffer in my 72 gallon and it took 3-4 days for it to come around and eat. It's in a new environment and I guess was kind of terrified. After it ate the first initial bite, it started to eat like a champ and later on, I taught it to eat food off my hands. It sure does have awesome personality and is always curious about everything. Just hang in there and keep offering him more food.

R

rcreations

Yea, for some reason all puffers like to sit on powerheads.
Make sure it doesn't get sucked in, depends on what powerhead you have, you may need to put a plastic mesh around it.