Puffer help! Lion crazz?

reeffreak9

I bought a porcupine puffer today. :joy:
The girl at *****, netted her and made her puff up. She pulled her out of the water while she was puffed and put her in the bag.

I did not realize till I got home she seems to have gotten an air bubble.
I did'nt know that puffers are not supposed to ever be removed from the water. When I got home and seen the "bubble" I came on the boards looking for what the prob could be, when I read that if they ingest air it can be deadly.

I am worried about this, and I read a few posts where others had mentioned "burping" her so to speak? Does anyone know if there is anything that I can do to help her dispel the air?

She is doing wonderfully, other than the bubble. She is swimming around checking out every nook and cranny, and being rather sociable with her new tankmates.
She has an awesome personality and I hope this air dispels by morning.
She only puffed at the store, she did not puff again when I was aclimating her or put her in the tank. I did not expose her to the air for a second time.
I used a container to scoop her up.
I have wanted her forever, and I don't want anything bad to happen to her!
It makes me so mad, employees should know the propper method to bag all types of specimens. :mad:

cgrant

puffers are pretty hardy fish, the fish will most likely be ok, but yes it can kill them?
Time will tell...keep us posted!

reeffreak9

Thank God!!! She does'nt have a bubble anymore! :jumping: :joy:
She must of dispelled it herself. She still seems to be doing great. She seems so friendly to everyone else in the tank and when I walk up to the tank she comes right to the front and looks purdy for me. This is her first pic, don't worry I never use the flash on my fishies!

E

emeralcrab

I just bought one also, got her on Weds. I had read also not to lift them out of the water so when I went to pick her up, (she had been at the LFS for over 2 weeks to make sure she was eating good,) the kid went to net her, so I asked him about it. "Oh" he said "I've never had a problem with them doing that." Fortunately for him she did not puff up. When I got her home and did the acclimation, I released her under the water. She is doing great, very friendly now. She does have some small transparent white spots on her tail fin and other fins. Doesn't really look like ich, but she is in QT and when I get my refractometer I will start hypo. Good luck with yours.

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by EmeralCrab
I just bought one also, got her on Weds. I had read also not to lift them out of the water so when I went to pick her up, (she had been at the LFS for over 2 weeks to make sure she was eating good,) the kid went to net her, so I asked him about it. "Oh" he said "I've never had a problem with them doing that." Fortunately for him she did not puff up. When I got her home and did the acclimation, I released her under the water. She is doing great, very friendly now. She does have some small transparent white spots on her tail fin and other fins. Doesn't really look like ich, but she is in QT and when I get my refractometer I will start hypo. Good luck with yours.

just wondering, where did you guys read that?

E

emeralcrab

In one of my marine books, when lifted out of the water they sometimes will get scared and their defence is to suck in water to puff up, if they are lifted out of the water they will suck air instead of water. Can kill them....so they say.

L

lpuzon

hmmm.... would that mean i have to observe my spiny box for future problem? coz when i transfered him in my MT, i kinda exposed him in the air...

E

emeralcrab

If it was going to happen it would happen right away. If you have moved him already and he is doing fine, then you are ok.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by reeffreak9
I accually learned it reading through some threads on here. An informative post from lion crazz in this thread >>> https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/231128/panda-all-puffed-up
I am very glad to have read it before I even took her out of the bag. I released her under water as well.
I am glad that I could help your puffer by you reading my post.

Sorry I did not respond fast enough, but I am glad your puffer is doing well.

reeffreak9

You were a great help Lion! She already had a bubble, and if I did'nt read your post I would have netted her! I really could have harmed her. Thanks so much!