puffer needs help !!!!

peasly1

I've kept this porq puffer for the last 2 yrs, acted and ate well.4-5 weeks ago it stopped eating but acted like it wanted to,after a few days of watching this I noticed when it tried to open its mouth it couldnt then it would open but the puff looked like it was freakin out like going into convulsions then would stop,then it started breathing heavy and lyin on bottom of the tank, 2 weeks later i treated (in a quarintine tank)w/ something from lfs ..(srry i cant remember what threw the pack out) for 6 days..the puff started to look a little better but still wont eat.. so a couple days ago i started treating w/ copper safe.. I dont know what to do and puff hasnt eaten in a long time.. water is all fine ....?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What have you been feeding him? How are his teeth? Are they adequately filed down?

peasly1

krill,clams and silversides, as for its teeth,im a little confused at the ? or how to know if they werent..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, basically, puffers need a diet of hard-shelled foods in order to keep their peaky teeth filed down. Otherwise, the teeth grow to large and interfere with eating.
Clams that have been shelled I presume? Any hard shelled food items offered? How does his teeth look?

peasly1

i guess i cant really see its teeth, but i would hold the puff in my hand and try to force food in its mouth but it just wont open its mouth..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't handle him! If he puffs you could do some real damage.
Can you post a picture up?

peasly1

puff is fine to be held, i know about them puffing up and i know that is bad, this fish has always let me (pet or hold it).. i will try to post a pic soon, ty

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, see if you can get a pic of the teeth. Also, I'll copy this over to the Agressive Forum to see if you can get input from members who have specific exp with puffers.