Puffer not eating 1-2 months

fishfry

My porcupine puffer has not eaten much of anything in the last month or so. We have had him for about a year +. He ate great then all of the sudden nothing. He did have a nasty eye infection that made his eye swell up. I thought maybe he went blind. But, even when i put food directly to his mouth he nibbles and spits it out. All my other fish are eating great...I just don't understand. I tried live fish because the LFS said that would invigorate his eating. Didn't work. Is there an internal parasite that specific to puffers, what could be the cause of this? He's getting skinney

fishfry

No i did not treat the popeye and the inflammation went away after a couple days. He doesnt have teeth that I have ever been able to see anyways (are you talking about his lips??). Our dogface definitely has noticeable teeth but the porcupine does not if that is what you mean? And btw he is about 4 inches long.
HE IS STILL NOT EATING! I thought maybe he went blind and could not see the food. This is not the case because 1) he responds to visual stimuli (not vibrations but just visual) 2) i put a piece of food right at his mouth and he nibbled and spit it out. Poor guy...I don't know how much longer he can go without eating. I feel horrible and helpless...someone please help.

monkdaily

all puffers have teeth they need something to grind them on or they will get too big and not eat. have u tried soaking the the food in garlic. there r also bottled alternatives for finicky eaters that u add to the food. call ur LFS to see if they carry it. it is also possible he got bored with the food variety. i hope this is of help to you
. seeing as how i also have a puffer

ccampbell57

My puffer used to do this sometimes. He would eat like a pig and then for 2-3 weeks he would not eat. Or so I thought...
I noticed that all my HUGE turbos and their shells were dissapearing at an unexplained rate. Turns out, my puffer ate them at night.
Anyway, have you tried different types of meat for your puffer? Maybe try clam on a half shell and drop it in the tank...see what he does. Silversides? Krill soaked in garlic?

fishfry

Yes they (puffer, eels, etc.) get a HUGE variety:
Clams, octopus, krill, shrimp, silverslides, and sometimes pellets. I have a snail and a couple crabs that have managed to stay alive in the last year so I know he is not getting food from alternate sources. I will try the garlic but I am not so optimistic. Thanks everyone for your help. Anymore suggestions?
Daniel

monkdaily

try the garlic. try the othey additive i suggested in a bottle its for flavor and smell. also making ur own food is another choice take the Clams, octopus, krill, shrimp, silverslides, ect. add the cubed frozen marine carnivoremix melt it mix it refreze it and try that. add diff volumes of ingredients to have a variety. she might get over it. try putting some food on clear acrylic feeding prong. hope these suggestions help.