puffer personality...

limitedslip

Ive had my porcupine puffer for a good 2 months now, and when I first got it, it was shy, and wanted nothing to do w/ me...but now, its personality did a 180 on me. It now craves attention, it gets mad and messes up the substrate when im not around, it squirts water at me when im by the tank and not payin attention to it, it rubs itself against me and hovers around my hand when I clean the tank, it will only eat what I hand feed it now, and every morning when i wake up, he's waiting in one specific corner (closest to my bedroom) and waits for me to come out, then goes nuts swimming back and forth when I arrive...
Is it wierd for a puffer to become so attached to an owner? or is that normal personality?

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by Limitedslip
Ive had my porcupine puffer for a good 2 months now, and when I first got it, it was shy, and wanted nothing to do w/ me...but now, its personality did a 180 on me. It now craves attention, it gets mad and messes up the substrate when im not around, it squirts water at me when im by the tank and not payin attention to it, it rubs itself against me and hovers around my hand when I clean the tank, it will only eat what I hand feed it now, and every morning when i wake up, he's waiting in one specific corner (closest to my bedroom) and waits for me to come out, then goes nuts swimming back and forth when I arrive...
Is it wierd for a puffer to become so attached to an owner? or is that normal personality?
Yup this is the personality of the puffer. These fish are the best. They are like a dog. I had mine for 3 years and it would also spit water at me when it was hungry. It would ensure that when I was cleaning the tank that I pet it's head.
He also followed my every move along the tank. He was great! I miss him.
Good luck with yours.

leftyblite

Sounds the same to me. When I would clean the tank, Spike would get mad and spit water if I didn't pet him at least a couple of times. they are just like puppies.

circesmagic

You can pet them, I was afraid of hurting it..mine will only eat if I hold his food and the only thing he really enjoys is Krill, I have tried a little soft shell crab and he had a few tastes, also some shrimp, but Krill seems to be his favorite..also how often do you feed them? He eats so little in one sitting I usually feed him a few bites during the day...THANKS!

leftyblite

Mine would only eat if he was hand fed. I tried a couple of times to feed in a hurry and just drop it in the tank, but he would just look and then swim away. They are a very smart fish and each have their own personalities.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by CircesMagic
You can pet them, I was afraid of hurting it..mine will only eat if I hold his food and the only thing he really enjoys is Krill, I have tried a little soft shell crab and he had a few tastes, also some shrimp, but Krill seems to be his favorite..also how often do you feed them? He eats so little in one sitting I usually feed him a few bites during the day...THANKS!
Depends on how big they are. Mine used to eat every other day and I would feed him about 8 krill. He was 7 inches though.
I would say 1 krill every other day per inch? Maybe 2-3 per day if he was hungry

limitedslip

haha, its nice to know its normal, now i just gotta worry about my ocell. clowns...since my fish are all lil guys atm, no big deal, but once they get big, im afraid the trigger or the puffer will rip em apart ><.

circesmagic

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
Depends on how big they are. Mine used to eat every other day and I would feed him about 8 krill. He was 7 inches though.
I would say 1 krill every other day per inch? Maybe 2-3 per day if he was hungry
My guy is the size of a small lemon, cute as hell! How do I get him to eat other things??

v-lioness

Try a variety of chopped foods such as, Octo, Squid, Scallops, Raw Shrimp (shell on) and so on.... For the teeth try, Crab, Clams, Mussels, hermits, snails, and so on..... Soak all foods in vitamins. To keep your puffer healthy offer a variety of foods.
I used my feeding prong with my puffer to offer different foods, he seemed to like larger chunks so this made it easy for me.
Kaye

S

smartorl

I have a porc puffer that was wild caught as a semi adult, I bought him at the lfs because I felt bad for him, he was in a tiny tank and so stressed. He was so scared but only a month and a half later, he won't eat unless I hand feed him and just craves attention like a dog! It is fun to watch them interact with you, they do recognize their owners, mine hides if anyone but me goes to the tank. They are really packed with personality. Their curiosity makes them one of the most friendly fish out there.

stdreb27

My guy is the size of a small lemon, cute as hell! How do I get him to eat other things??
I have had one forr about a year, mine is the same way. Spitting water, eating out of my hands, grinning at me. Or brooding when I ignore him, I absolutely love this fish. Until I have to scrub the sides of the tank, he like me loves escargo.
I fed mine krill, but most puffer experts don't suggest that for a regular diet. I feed mine fresh sardines, and oysters on a half shell. With an occational shrimp and vitamine soaked krill. Oysters are his favorite by far. If I run out of oysters and feed them something else, he goes and pouts in his corner. And when I start feeding them again he'll over eat and you can see his gut. It is really interesting.

circesmagic

Ok, so I am at the fish market, buying people fish....I buy oysters and keep them in the freezer until I use them, then thaw them out and offer them to him? I tried a closed mussel but he seemed scared of it, he nibbles on shrimp but that is it.

stdreb27

Ok, so I am at the fish market, buying people fish....I buy oysters and keep them in the freezer until I use them, then thaw them out and offer them to him? I tried a closed mussel but he seemed scared of it, he nibbles on shrimp but that is it.
That is what I do, there is a mom and pop seafood market, and I just get some oysters, they are cheaper down here. I put em in the freezer, run them under hot water till I can shuck them. Then I crack the oyster. Take half the shell off and feed it do them on the half shell, like you eat raw oysters at a restarant. That is the basis of his diet, really all he wants to eat, then I'll get a fish like a fresh sardine (he likes stronger flavored fish) I'll just cut a chunk of fish make sure there aren't any worms and feed that to him every one in a while. Or I'll get small shrimp take off his head and feed that to him too. I bought a crab once but he didn't like it to much.

circesmagic

Thank you! I offered him some clam, but either he is too young or has no clue what to do because he seemed scared of it, he does like the soft shell crab legs so I will try more of that until I get some oysters...

fish1031

mine is the same way my mappa.
he splashes water and spits at me when i open the lid
knocks over rocks and everything.
he even sticks his head out of the water about 4-5" and catches a shrimp in his mouth!
I love him!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by fish1031
mine is the same way my mappa.
he splashes water and spits at me when i open the lid
knocks over rocks and everything.
he even sticks his head out of the water about 4-5" and catches a shrimp in his mouth!
I love him!
Fish - I love your Mappa! Since I lost my porkie puff, I have been looking to get a Mappa. How is he doing?

fish1031

He is great! Love it to death!
2 bad things are he eats a lot... like $15 worth a month i'd say
also i have to do extra water changes... big pig!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by fish1031
He is great! Love it to death!
2 bad things are he eats a lot... like $15 worth a month i'd say
also i have to do extra water changes... big pig!
How big is he, and how big is your tank?