puffer personality...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by fish1031
Hes about 12"
180g
I almost bought one the other day but they wanted a couple hundred dollars for it.

ccampbell57

He is great! Love it to death!
2 bad things are he eats a lot... like $15 worth a month i'd say
also i have to do extra water changes... big pig!
Thats actually pretty good. Mine was eating about the same $ amount a month with the krill, oyster, and shrimp. Not to include the school of chromis he ate and all of my cleaner crew (180 hermits and 40 HUGE turbos as well as three sally lightfoots.)

fish1031

wow well you got me beat with the fish and cleaner crew! He proabably eats more because he eats the other fishes dinners too!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by leftyblite
Mine used to hunt and snack on snail and hermit crabs too!
mine still does,

stdreb27

Hes about 12"
180g
how fast has he grown? My df is about 7 inches now, I've had him for 7 or 8 months.

limitedslip

my puffer learned a very important lesson about eating today...Dont steal food from the shark lol, after a 2 weeks of watchin the puffer do this, the shark headbutted the crap out puffer when it stole its food, and the puffer went back to stealin the food ><.

stdreb27

then the puffer didn't learn, Watch out now I don't have a shark but puffers like to nibble on stuff and are attracted to sharks eyes. and fins.

srfisher17

I may have missed it; but these fish need crunchy stuff to keep their ever-growing teeth trimmed. Shrimp in the shell, crab in shell. I keep a piece of cuttlebone that mine loves to gnaw on. The kind for birds, plain-no added vitamins. These are natural products from cuttlefish. I agree with all the posts; I've been in this hobby for 30+ years and have never met a fish with more personality. If I put my hand in the tank and point a finger at his face; he'll roll over as I slowly twirl my finger. Tough trick, considering his rather limited mobility. Probably the only fish I've had that I really consider a pet; in the dog sense, and not just a fish.

ilovesharks

stars and stripes will swim spit stick its head out of the tank and loves to crack the shells of the little clam things

fish1031

haha thats amazing
i got mine to bring its face about 3in out of the water and catch krill in his mouth
will also spit water at you...
I agree they are like a dog more than a fish

choog

You should try to post a video of his funny behavior. I think that would be entertaining to watch. I know, I'm just a poor college kid that enjoys watching everyone else's fun tank cause I can't afford my own yet. oh well.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by choog
You should try to post a video of his funny behavior. I think that would be entertaining to watch. I know, I'm just a poor college kid that enjoys watching everyone else's fun tank cause I can't afford my own yet. oh well.

hey, I did it while in college, It helped me study.

limitedslip

I'm in college too lol. Keeps me busy, since im not the party type. anyway here are some of my puffer antics (its name is action b@stard)
here, my puffer doesnt have big eyes for no reason, its got "Super Shrimp" vision.

or spitting when it wants me to pay attention

in order to take any pics of my tank, i need to feed it, or otherwise, itll jump in front of the camera...lol, its hilarious