puffer pics

vegasbaby

Love that puffer, beautiful!
What kind is he?
Puffers are my favorite fish, more pictures please!
:cheer:
:cheer:

jonny bolt

Yup. He's a Saddle Valentini Puffah. They are my faves. He's a good Puff. He used to nip my Maroon Clown's fins every once in a while, but he doesnt do it much anymore cuz Doink the Clown is getting bigger and is starting to push him around and show him who's Boss

I also like the Hawaiian Blue Spot Puffahz. I saw a little baby one at a LFS last weekend. If I already didnt have a Puff, I would've gotten that little thing in a heartbeat and brought him home!

mimzy

LoL, Johnny, u've got one fat old maffia puffah. lookit his flashy suit and slicked back fins. how's Marilyn getting along in the tank these days?

jonny bolt

Originally Posted by Mimzy
LoL, Johnny, u've got one fat old maffia puffah. lookit his flashy suit and slicked back fins. how's Marilyn getting along in the tank these days?
Marilyn is not doing well. She is sick with Septicemia. I've never had a disease in my tank, ever. But I think she got it from not eating right, stressed her out. I gotta put her in a hospital tank with Maracyn 2

Anyone have a blue spotted puffah?

socal57che

I had to take this cutie back because I couldn't get him to eat ANYTHING. upon return, I asked what they had been feeding him. They replied "goldfish." Last fish from "chain" store.

socal57che

Originally Posted by joksta
from what i understand goldfish are bad for saltwater fish
From the research I did I discovered that the puffers are more susceptible to liver probs than other marine fish. Freshwater fish don't contain the same fatty acids as marine fish and fatty liver disease results from freshwater feeders. The puffer will develope an addiction to the freshwater fish and is very hard to wein (sp) from it. After prolonged intake their liver will fail. If you buy a puffer verify that it will eat foods that it would eat naturally before you buy it. (watch them feed it)

deeez

i've had him for six months now. i rescued him from a fish store. he had a severe fin rot. he'd just stay laying on a rock half of the time when i first got him. he wouldn't eat for a couple of days. finally got him to eat krill. i've been feeding him a variety of food from then on. i regulary feed him krill, squid, slicked shrimp, or silversides. he's been a pig and in great health. i'm surprised he was able to heal that fast. he doesn't rest on rocks anymore and constantly swims around. i dont know why he puffs. i've seen him puff 3 times and i caught the last one with a camera. he would just be swimming around and he'd slowly puff. i dont think he even gets spooked by his tankmates. his tankmates are 2 maroon clown, a mandarin, a green cromie, and a cleaner shrimp. man, he even goes to the cleaner shrimp to get himself cleaned up. hopefully the puffing stops. i dont have any microbubbles in my tank. i don't know what causes it.

jonny bolt

Beautiful pics Deeez. Fish looks great, nice N healthy. I also rescued my Puff from a LFS. This one place doesnt put sand on the bottom of their tanks and generally really dont care much for em.
I have had my Puffah since around last May. I have yet to see him puff up all the way, but he does get agitated when he's extra hungry and will push the bottom of his belly down and swim back and forth while he gives me an evil eye
He will also also "kick" his tail at sand real quick once or twice.
Maybe when your Puffah puffs up once a month, he is "testing" his natural instinct. I would tend to think it is normal for it to do it every so often.