puffer question

leftyblite

Iam currently setting up a 150G tank and would like to eventually put a puffer into it. I've read in books and on this site that they tend to eat inverts. What kind(if any) of clean up crew can I have in the tank with the puffer? It will probably either be the only fish in the tank or maybe one other after I figure out what would be compatable with the puffer. Any advice would be appreciated.

primetime

I have had good luck with strawberry hermit crabs with puffers.. They do tend to play with the crabs at times, just becoming close friends maybe..

jonny bolt

I have a Valentini Puff and a big Hermit Crab. Tha Puff seems to leave it alone. I have also had Turbo Snails in the tank, but I think I only have BIG one left, tha Puffah got tha rest of em. I am thinking that I want to have more Inverts again, especially a Coral Banded Shrimp, so I might be trying to find a new home fa me Puff soon.

boalgf

What kind of puffer are you considering. There is a big difference between a toby puffer with inverts and a puffer that gets over a foot long. Only 2 fish in a 150? Hope you get some nice decorations.

leftyblite

I haven't decided yet between either a porcupine puffer or a black mask puffer. As Iam still researching compatable fish for a puffer what could I that would be good in a 150G?

S

surfinusa

trigger fish,lion fish,tangs,eels,groupers,wrasses,all that those fish are compatible and theres even more you can keep

S

surfinusa

oh yeah i think you can keep both puffers inthere if you want and if its ok

jonny bolt

Its "hit or miss" with a Puff man. More than likely they will attack and resort to their natural predatory instinct, especially the bigger types of Puffahz. Never can tell though. I may try to put in a CBS and see what happens.

boalgf

Yea, the bigger puffers will more than likely eat any inverts in the tank. They do well in community tanks with other fish though. Nothing with streamers (lionfish), no bottom dwellers (sharks) and nothing small enough to eat.

primetime

Originally Posted by leftyblite
Thanks Primetime. How many would be good for a 150G tank?

I have about 4-5 left right now. I had a couple not make it though. Some of the hermits have become trained, if they see the puffer coming down to the sand towards them, they'll tuck inside of their shell. And when the coast is clear, they'll start grazing on the sand again.

primetime

I did have a Dogface puffer with Lionfish for about 6-7 months. The puffer never even thought of bother the LF. But one simple dumbass move on my part killed a couple of the fish..

Live and learn I guess.