Puffer secreting slime?

tennisace

For some reason, my puffer seems to be secreting some kind of slime or something!
Symptoms:
Rubbing up against things
Spinning
Whenever he hits the sand, it really sticks to him and seems to hang.
Can someone help me? He is my favorite fish and I really don't want to lose him. As far as I can tell, my Maroon Clown and Niger trigger don't have this, but I just combined tanks 3 days ago. I'm not completely sure when this began. My mom says she saw him rubbing before we combined, but I never noticed it. Parasites do not seem to be present, or at least I haven't noticed them and I've looked.
Any advice would be great.

nicetry

It could be a number of things but parasites are a suspect given the symptoms. Puffers naturally secrete more mucus than many other fish, but the scratching behavior and increased mucus could be ich. Any other symptoms; rapid respirations, redness around the gills, lethargy, loss of appetite? when was the clown fish added out of curiousity?
Do you a have quarantine tank ready to use?
Can you also post your water parameters?
You say you combined two tanks? What all is in the main tank now?

tennisace

Both are my tanks. The one I have combined into has:
Niger Trigger <

[hr]
had him for 4 years
Maroon Clown<

[hr]
have had him for 12 years!
Puffer <

[hr]
had him for about 1 year
I haven't introduced anything into my tank that would give them ICH or anything. Nothing has been introduced for over 6 months to either tank (besides the combination, but like I said, my mom thinks it started before the combination). I can't see how any parasite would get into the tank.
(Note: When I got the puffer a year ago, it had ICH from the lfs, but I treated it and got rid of it.)