Puffer took a bite out of me

boalgf

Anyone else lost a pretty piece of flesh to one of their aggressive fish?
I was trying to take my zebra eel from my 125 about a week ago. I was so concerned with trying to get his fat girth in the net that my porcupine puffer snuck up on me. He took a bite out of my thumb. It's about 1/4 an inch across, almost a perfect circle, and very deep. The little son of a... He's adorable, but man I wish he wasn't always so hungry.

boalgf

you are out of luck there. this happened about a week ago so it's healed up well. I bet once he gets a few inches bigger he could take off the tip to a finger. I put some snails in there to help file down his teeth and he crunches trough them like candy.

boalgf

Hey thanks for that insight. Oh wait, you aren't a moderator so what you say about useless threads is.. What's the word I'm looking for? Useless.
Really though, if I intended to post pics i would have done it in the "Fish Photography" forum. This was more a thread about hearing war stories. Do you have any coach?

coachklm

no i just wanted read everyone elses mistakes so i dont do the same thing...i was just really hoping for a picture on this thread...kinda like the MH burn picture thread. :hilarious it was meant as a joke i'm sorry you felt offended and got defensive..

boalgf

Calling my thread pointless will normally offend me. Especially when it's got a very specific point and a question involved. You should work on your humor.
I wish I had taken a picture though, it's a nice war wound.

S

surfinusa

that was funny the what is this thread pointless without that is a really funny one :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious that must of been pain ful sorry to hear that

dottiekh

Ouch...you now have me scared of my puffer. I have a df puffer and he is around 7" right now. I was messing with one of my powerheads the other day, and like you, I wasn't really paying any attention to the fish, and he snuck up and "nipped" my finger. Fortunately it didn't hurt at all, but it scared the devil out of me and I taught my six year old some new words that she really shouldn't know :notsure: I've read several threads about people that actually pet their puffer...is that true? I've considered trying to get that close to mine, but now I'm a little nervous. I've had him for two months and I can hand feed him, but that's as far as I've gotten.
Thanks for sharing, and warning....

boalgf

I can easily pet mine and am not afraid of him, just wary. By pet him I mean i can pat his head for a second before he looks up to see if what's touching him is edible. He has bitten me before but it didn't break the skin.

dottiekh

Ok. Thank you for the info. I just had this image of the puffer swimming happily up to the glass, and looking adoringly at you as you reach in to pet his little head. Now I actually have a little perspective on it. I may yet work up to petting mine....I really do love him to death. He is my favorite fish of all time. Honestly though, it never ocurred to me that they could take a chunk out of you, if you aren't quick enough. But mine's a big sweetie...he would NEVER bite me

boalgf

Mine is adorable as well. Like I said as long as you are careful you can pat their little heads, but just remember to not let your fingers linger in the water.
Puffers are very easy to keep.

zoejeun

your puffer is like freakishly cute
LoL, I dont even know how to put it
It has big puppy dog eyes and that little mouth that looks like its actually smiling , then you remember its a fish...
I love it, if I had enough space in my tank for one, I'd get it :happyfish

sfe

Originally Posted by boalgf
I can easily pet mine and am not afraid of him, just wary. By pet him I mean i can pat his head for a second before he looks up to see if what's touching him is edible. He has bitten me before but it didn't break the skin.
lol. that sounds pretty funny.

dottiekh

In my limited experience, I have found that puffers are one of the easiest fish to care for. Mine gets a little pouty sometimes, but never for long. He's real hardy. I wish I could take pictures as well as some of you can, but this is my feeble attempt to show off my puffer
He's a great fish. I don't know if I've been too subtle...have you picked up on the fact that I really like him?

S

surfinusa

puffers are very very hardy but when i got mine at the pet store he was sorta dying thats why they sold him to me so cheap but hes very happy eating and swimming all over the place but i always pet mine he actually wags his tail fin when i do it lol its so darn funny