puffer vs angels

i'm just wondering theres a nice little puffer at one of my lfs (not sure what name, but can inflate and has little spikes) and i'm wondering, i know it will eat my hermit crabs and snails and i don't care, but will it pick at my fav cleaning crew member,my tiger cowrie...i want to know because that snail costs more than the puffer...i'm also wondering if he'll be fine be fine with my angels in my 580 dt, my stock list is a blue, queen, flame angel,maroon clown, orange clown?, and black clown?...if i add new fish will he attack them? Also my lfs owes me so he said he'll give it to my for $20, is that a good deal?
advice is appreciated

aquaknight

Are the spikes out all the time? Sounds like a spiny box puffer. They get about half a porcupine puffer's size, so about 8" or 9" max. They also seem to have a slightly better personality. I have seen mean porky's, but not a mean spiny. The cowrie should be alright, at least for now. Definitely a risk in the future, but if you base your likeness on what each thing cost, to each his own....

rad

your precious cowrie will die. as well as the rest of your cleaning crew and any corals you would like to add. it may not happen immediately, but it will happen. Dont get me wrong, sometimes puffers can be reef safe (meaning corals) but hardly ever are they invert safe (I know its the same thing as corals, but in this instance I mean everything but) If you do decide to add the puffer, note that it must be well fed as to give it the least amount of chance of attacking the other inverts. Even then, who knows, just depends on individual temperment of the given fish. Ive had a puffer in a reef tank, messed with no corals, or shrimp, and I had no snails/cowries or hermits but like I said, its all up to the individual temperment of the fish.

stdreb27

Wait how big is your display? Do you have pictures!
Btw when the puffer finds the dude he'll probably have himself a little snack.

the tank he'll go in will be my 580 dt,and i forgot to mention that i have two fire shrimp and one diamond goby as well,but as for food,i keep all my fish well fed by feeding probably 30 different things several times daily.sorry i have no pics of my 580 yet, but i have some pics of the 60 before i moved them to my 580

stdreb27

Originally Posted by angel-lover14
http:///forum/post/2517186
the tank he'll go in will be my 580 dt,and i forgot to mention that i have two fire shrimp and one diamond goby as well,but as for food,i keep all my fish well fed by feeding probably 30 different things several times daily.sorry i have no pics of my 580 yet, but i have some pics of the 60 before i moved them to my 580
well, now that you name dropped a 500 gallon tank we are going to need to see pictures!
But most likely your inverts will be eaten. I haven't seen mine eat a shrimp yet, but then again their aren't any in there for him to eat. But he did make quick work on the snails and hermits that I'd put in the tank.

rad

wow, you are more adventurous than I. I have a blue angel and a flame also. but a coral beauty to add to the mix? you sir, are nuckin futs.

im saving up for a new camera cuz i broke my parents camera by droping it in my tank while taking pics so it will be a while before i get to see a camera but my fish were fine,good thing i had a ground probe. Right now i am trying to get a blue,queen,and king for my 580,so i'll let u guys know how thats going,but i have a question,can i take my 60 gal qt and replace my old sump for my 580 and get a 30 gal for my qt, or is it not worth it?