puffer with grouper

hunt

I moved my valentini puffer into a 75 gallon with a miniatis grouper. I have them separated, im want to know if its ok to remove the separator. This grouper has been with a dogface puffer and a white spot puffer(at differant times) but when they were in there there was also a clown trigger(which recently died) and the clown trigger just bullied the whitespot to death. The dog face was fine with them. now its just the grouper and the valentini puffer separated by eggcrate. If i give them a couple days to get used to eachother, should they be fine?

mfoley

I highly doubt it. Fish usually have the sense to spit a puffer out if they do attempt to eat one, but the attempt alone could do some damage to the puffer. I'm not by any means guarantying that it won't work, but personally I would never put a "dwarf" puffer in a tank with a grouper.
Also, just throwing this out there, if a grouper's in a 75G tank with a divider, it seems like kind of small quarters...

hunt

Originally Posted by mfoley
http:///forum/post/3260488
Also, just throwing this out there, if a grouper's in a 75G tank with a divider, it seems like kind of small quarters...
The grouper has been in a tank with a dwarf puffer before and it worked out, but that was a few months ago. I was only planning on leaving the separator in for a day or two. I put the seporator in so that the grouper has more room than the small puffer also.

hunt

Originally Posted by mfoley
http:///forum/post/3260565
It may work out fine. I just would be prepared for the worst. Roughly how large are the fish?
well, the valentini is about 2-3in, and the grouper is around 7-8in. BUT, that is about the same proportions as last time

hunt

Well, if things do go wrong i'll have to take back the puffer than. Ill keep you posted(ill prabably do it tomarrow

srfisher17

IMO, a 70 is too small for an adult grouper and well-fed groupers grow very fast. Cramped quarters=stress=aggression.