Puffer with Ick

circesmagic

My puffer has/had Ick and has been in the QT for 3 days now, he finally got his appetite back along with his color. How long should I keep him there now, I am worried he will get lonely and depressed being alone for too long, what can I do to keep him happy while he is recovering? Thanks!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by CircesMagic
My puffer has/had Ick and has been in the QT for 3 days now, he finally got his appetite back along with his color. How long should I keep him there now, I am worried he will get lonely and depressed being alone for too long, what can I do to keep him happy while he is recovering? Thanks!
leave him in there for at least 5 weeks. Ich has a 4-5 week cycle. You want to make sure that the ich is completely gone before you put him back in the DT.

al mc

I had ICH on a dog face puffer about two years ago now. It did very well in a QT tank with some PVC to hide in. What are you doing to treat the ICH?
There are lots of debates about the real value of 'bottled anti ICH meds'.
Most people use Hyposalinity...a nice thread in the archives about how to do it or Copper...also nice write up in the archives.

circesmagic

I am using Para Guard...I have read about the Hyposalinity, but being a new hobbyist I am afraid I will kill him...I do not fully understand the Hypo thing.
Will he be ok alone for that long? He is a very social little guy. And is 7 days of treatment enough with chemicals? 10-04 will be his 4th day of treatment with chemicals.