Pufferfish and Corals

raseri

I've been wanting a Pufferfish for a long time now, and I've finally been able to start getting all my equipment and tank set up. The only problem is I also want to be able to have corals and mushrooms in there. I know Puffers eat alot and that they might eat the corals, but is there a way to avoid it? Maybe if I keep my puffer well fed? I would love any advice please!

hunt

i have a valentini puffer with mushrooms and zoas and i feed half a cube of mysis shrimp a day and it has never touched my coral(but he is only 1")

raseri

I was going to get one off of this site if not then at a store, but they all seem to be 2-3 inches. I would prefer a Porcupine but if a valentini won't eat any of my corals then I'll deal, :p. What should the minimum tank be? I was thinking of a 30 gal but if I need to go bigger I will. I want a Puffer with a Lion.

hunt

Puffers and lionfish are compatible, But a porqupine needs at least a 75g tank, What kind of lionfish do you want?

raseri

Pretty sure it was a Volitan or the Antenneta. I think it's going to be the Volitan, but not a huge one. Just one big enough so the Puffer doesn't eat him.

hunt

ou could put a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in with something like a valentini puffer in a 30 gallon and that should be fine.

raseri

Oh man. I just had to pick the fish that need a big tank. :p What about the Stripped Dogface puffer? Does he need a big tank too?

raseri

Alright. Thank you so much for your help. I'll either get a bigger tank, or I'll just get the smaller fish instead. That was my main concern plus the corals and mushrooms. I love the way they look and I would hate it if my fish started eating them. Thank you again. :]

hunt

Lionfish and puffers are really 50/50 on weather they will be coral safe or not, From what ive read, as juveiles they normally wont harm coral but aas they mature they will start eating coral. If you have any other fish you see that you like, just type it in google or post it here.

louti

Lionfish don't eat coral. Any puffer most likely will. As stated, the only lions suitable for a small tank are dwarfs, and the same with puffers.