Pufferfish Questions

happyvac

All right, my dad (he's the monetary force, I gotta bend to his will
) is hoping we could get a pufferfish. He wants a tank of at least 50g, possibly 75g. Could a tank of this volume hold a puffer? (we're not looking for a gigantic one, but we want it to be a permanent home throughout the puffer's life)
Also, how is the behavior of puffers? I've heard of people saying they're the closest to a "companion" a fish can be. Others have said they'll bite you if they get the chance. Furthermore, what would be compatible with puffers? (as far as inverts and fish, no coral) In addition to this, could anyone clarify the link between Fugu and Puffers? :notsure:
Thanks for the help

aw2

The only species that would work in that sized tank would be the from the Toby family....the "dwarf" puffers.
They'll nip at corals and will eat inverts, such as hermits, crabs, shrimp, etc...but, would be fine with other fish they're size. They will not, however, be ok with things such as Dwarf Lion species. They'll pick and nip at their fins.

happyvac

Will they nip at you when cleaning and such?
If they eat inverts what do you do with the cleaning crew?

aw2

I've never heard of one being overtly aggressive to anyone with their hands in the tanks. Their mouths are small enough that it wouldnt do any damage anyway.
Clean up crew wise, you could use larger snails (Turbo Snails)...other than that, I'm sure there's gotta be someone else here that can help out.

happyvac

Thanks for helping me. :joy:
Further questions: are there any specific requirements for puffers? Would one fit in well with a normal FOWLR? Can multiple ones be housed in a <100g-sized unit? I'm considering a Blue-Dot Puffer from an online store. It says it grows to only 5" and can be housed in a 55g. Would that work?

aw2

Blue Dot would work well, but members of the Dwarf species dont really get along with each other. It's recommended to have one per tank, with the size tank you're talking about.

happyvac

Hmmm...I read that a possible companion for small puffers would be a Lawnmower Blenny. Is this true? :notsure: How about certain Gobies?

mitzel

Originally Posted by HappyVac
Hmmm...I read that a possible companion for small puffers would be a Lawnmower Blenny. Is this true? :notsure: How about certain Gobies?
I have a V. Puffer which is also in the dwarf family , It's housed with a bicolor blenny a mandarin goby and a scissor goby and there is no problems . So I think you could be ok with that selection.

edwar050

Also, If you can get a valentini at young stage and hand feed frequently you can keep them in a reef tank. They also like seaweed in there diet and hard shrimp/shelled crustaceans for the teeth. There is a nice shot of one in a popular sw mag from last year. I have also kept one for nearly two years in a softie tank. Little joker likes swimming against the glass, very smart fish.

xtech

mine will not bite ,however he gets pretty pissed at me and will splash me if i get near the tank and don't pet him. he loves that spot right between his eyes to be rubbed...