Puffers Eating Habits

cmiles

I Have Had My Puffer For About A Week And He Had Been Eating Great As Long As I Feed Him Live Feeder Shrimp And Small Fish. I Tried Him On A Piece Of Thawed Frozen Shrimp Yesterday And He Wouldn't Touch It. Is It Healthy For Him To Eat Only Live Things All The Time? Or Will His Habits Change In Time?

Thanks

shoimen

I would suggest trying to vary the diet as much as possible.
I really like the saltwater multipack by San Francisco Bay Brand. It has 4 different varieties of food: Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entrée, 100% Squid, & Omega-3 enriched Brine Shrimp.
It offers a good variety of food and has vitamins. I also break up frozen krill and mix it in. You can choose other stuff to mix in as well.
I try to avoid live feeder fish, especially guppies and golfish. They are bottom feeders...basically, they eat mostly crap. Now personally, I wouldnt want to feed that to my fish...would you? =) Once in a while, maybe...for the entertainment factor and I'm sure they love to chase down their food...
hope that helps. You can search out the forums, I have seen several threads of people making their own food from grocery store products...havent tried that myself yet.

gofish85

definetely dont just feed it live because that's not really healthy. try squid and krill and possibly some silversides. anything chunky and meaty. try it on a feeding stick. you might also have to ween him from the live. feed lets say a couple live feeders and toss in a couple pieces of frozen so he knows that the frozen is food

shoimen

Originally Posted by cmiles
Thanks For The Info, Where Would I Find That Multi Pack You Mentioned, Maybe At The Lfs?
most likely.

scubadoo

If you continually feed your salt water fish live goldfish and guppies they will develop fatty liver disease and die.