Puffers vs. lions

cheapfish1

I have a 55 cycling right now and want a valenti puffer and a fuzzy dwarf lion or a fu man chu lion. My question is that i have heard that puffers sometimes pick on lion fish but does this occur alot or is it one of those happened once to someone's cousins tank and now no one says you can have a puffer and lion in one tank. Does anyone have these two fish together and happy.
thanks
mike

seannmelly

Originally Posted by cheapfish1
I have a 55 cycling right now and want a valenti puffer and a fuzzy dwarf lion or a fu man chu lion. My question is that i have heard that puffers sometimes pick on lion fish but does this occur alot or is it one of those happened once to someone's cousins tank and now no one says you can have a puffer and lion in one tank. Does anyone have these two fish together and happy.
thanks
mike
I had a 5" dogface puffer and a dwarf lion...everyone left him alone. but if you were to chose btwn both of them, id go w/ the lion :joy:

v-lioness

Well it's not a myth and does happen, the problem is puffer are nippy fish and lions are slow. Lions like to just hang out and swim at their own leisure, I have read many stories about the puffer killing lions.
But what can also happen is the Lion can sting and kill puffers. So it is a hit or miss and depends on the fish.
Kaye

salt210

I have a volitans and a dog face and they picked a little the first night and have shown no more signs of it, but well see how it goes

unleashed

i have always kept vol lions and puffers together without nuipping or harrassing each other.the problem tends to be with feeding time just feed the puffer until hes done eating then feed the lion .puffers are much more agressive feeders than lions are and lions dont do well with competition if the food is constantly being stolen the lion will go on hunger strike.i feed my smaller foods for other fish then eels puffer then lion .basicly always feed the main fish first then the most aggressive.my first foxface lost his lower jaw due to puffer feeding frenzy while the foxface was trying to eat the same food.but something to think about too many hobbiest limit food supply to their fish feeding every few days daily feedings at least will help keep these nipping at other tank mates to a minimal

oxbeard

I just added a Blue Dot Puffer with a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion. So far no aggressive behaviour between them that I have noticed. But I have to admit that I had started doing as unleashed suggested already. Instead of doing feedings every other day, I have been doing smaller feedings daily. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any fights.

unleashed

hey wouldnt you be ticked off too if you had to wait 48 hrs to eat?
try that with your kids just once lol .hell skip lunch and they will be at each others throats :thinking: