Pulsing Xenia How to control there spread.

carlos413

I got a small frag todayi am placeing it on the top. How can I keep em under control. In my friends tank they Are everyware. I like this coral and I like to keep it. I don't mind new grouth I just don't want it to become a pest. How do you guys deal with this?

nuro

if it gets out of control just rip it out. hope it grows for you, ive never had much luck with them

jackri

In general it grows up -- crawls up on stuff. Place it high and that will help keep it under control but it will start popping up here or there as well. I also place rubble on some to frag it as it grows up on the rubble.. then just take it out to trade/give away/etc.
I have it growing all over my back glass which I like -- but it's also taking over 1/4 of my tank as well so it's about time for me to be pulling as well.

nuro

just for the record, i hate all of you that can grow this stuff. *insert jealous rant here*

jackri

If you can't grow it.. think of it as a pretty flower you wish you could grow. Now, when it gets out of hand, think of it as a yard full of dandelions... either way you're not happy :)

carlos413

thank you guys. I will definitely keep an eye out for this. I love this coral and its pulsing action. I just didn't want it to be the only coral in my tank.

flower

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/3129739
just for the record, i hate all of you that can grow this stuff. *insert jealous rant here*

LOL...I bet you can keep other corals just fine..like a brain coral..I can't...some tanks just seem to be great for one type of coral and lousy at growing another....I am sure it has to do with what amounts of what trace chemicals and what not...I am not a scientist, I can barely do my water tests right.
I can grow xenia, Kenya trees, mushrooms, fox coral, lettuce and cabbage corals...but not a brain or galaxia coral

My 55g had no problems with a flower pot coral...now I can’t get one to stay alive for anything in the 90g. So even the same hobbyist has different results with different tanks.

caspervtx

Along hte same vein - how hard are they to grow "wild?" I purchased three stalks from a local reefer. Rubberbanded them to individual smallish rocks and set them in the rock work.
Well eiterh I didn't tie em down well enough (probably) or the flow helped em escape (also possible) either way three stalks esca'ed into the tank somewhere (55g good rockwork).
So what are teh chances they'll come to rest in the rocks somewhere and begin to grow on their own?

lietz06

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3129732
In general it grows up -- crawls up on stuff. Place it high and that will help keep it under control but it will start popping up here or there as well. I also place rubble on some to frag it as it grows up on the rubble.. then just take it out to trade/give away/etc.
I have it growing all over my back glass which I like -- but it's also taking over 1/4 of my tank as well so it's about time for me to be pulling as well.
I would love to see what it looks like on the glass. Do you have any pictures?

24saltydog

I had a beautiful patch of xenia. Man it was growing great. Then I added a Vlamingi Tang. He leveled my xenia in a matter of days. I never thought Vlamingi's would eat coral but I guess you never know what a fish is going to do. Now I have the remains of the xenia, which looks like broccoli stalks on a large rock. The rock itself is probably worth more then the xenia. I don't want to trade the rock in, so the broccoli remains in my tank. Good luck. I loved the look of my xenia, but it was starting to get out of control.