freshreeftj

hey everybody
i came home today to find my pulsing xenia
wasnt attached/on the rock in came on,
it was on the sand, but still open,
is it gonna be ok? should i put it in a hole
in my live rock or let it be?

gwh57

If you can put it back on a rock and use a rubberband to hold it for a few days. Then it will reattach.

seannmelly

becareful you dont make the rubber band too tight, because it will cut right through the xenia. it doesnt take much for it to attach to anything.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by junbug1970
superglue gel works great
for glueing xenia to a rock?? the glue will not hold xenia to a rock, unless i'm doing something wrong

junbug1970

can you take the rock out of the water? if so, dab the rock dry, put a little locktite superglue and let it sit for about 30-60 sec and then place the base of the xenia on it and let it sit again for 30 sec and place it back in the water. If you cannot get the rock of the water, use a small long coned empty snail shell and glue the xenia on to it and find a hole in a rock where you can shoved the shell onto. in 2-3 days the xenia will start to spread itself on the rock. good luck

junbug1970

yes. xenia can be taken off the water temporarily. they are hardy species or you can use that link that pete sent. good video demo.

jerthunter

What I have done when I used to save the excess xenia I ripped off my rocks was place it in a small dish with sand until it attaches to the sand, then you can glue the sand to a rock. I have never tried glueing the xenia directly to a rock so I cannot say it will not work but I would have serious doubts it would hold. Xenia becomes very slimey when it is disturbed and even more so when it is out of water, not to mention it doesn't smell great so I wouldn't want to try it.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
What I have done when I used to save the excess xenia I ripped off my rocks was place it in a small dish with sand until it attaches to the sand, then you can glue the sand to a rock. I have never tried glueing the xenia directly to a rock so I cannot say it will not work but I would have serious doubts it would hold. Xenia becomes very slimey when it is disturbed and even more so when it is out of water, not to mention it doesn't smell great so I wouldn't want to try it.
exactly the same thing i was thinking. loose rubber band works fine for me. and can be cut away once xenia attach(a couple days)

texasstone5

Howdy
I use a dab of superglue to hold xenia to rocks all of the time (I have two tanks and raise them for trade). Raise the base up out of the water and either dab the glue on the animal or the rock. Hold it bottom-up for half a minute while the glue dries applying firm but gentle pressure. Check the xenia twice a day to make sure that it is holding. Often times it will work loose in a day or two. Just gently re-glue it. I use clear acrylic rings to protect the base from too much current for about a week.
The reason that I am so cautious about attachment is that I have found that the ones that are not firmly attached are the ones that risk infection.