Pulsing Xenia

my way

Do all Xenia's grow a main stalk that the individual polyps grow out of? I got 2 frags a couple of months ago and they are growing more like a creeping mat. I'm not worried about it as I like the way it looks. One frag has doubled in size and they are both healthy looking. I'm just curious as I've never seen Xenia grow like this.

emmitt

I have a few that are in higher flow ares that are doing that. Are they in high flow? Mine kinda laid over and attached and now grows like it is encrusting rather than straight up.

dogstar

Some species of Xeniidae do grow from an spreading/incrusting base and some spead by reaching/touching and attaching.

sorcha

My Way, a side note here. Saw you posting on another thread and noted that you're in Oxford. I'm down the road in Hampton. Wondering the best LFS that you use? I've been getting some things from The Pet Stop in Phillipsburg, but he's no bargain there.
Sorry to be off-track from your question. Just glad to find someone so local! :)

seannmelly

As stated above, clove polyps and anthelia grow by creating somewhat of a mat. Xenia has stalks that grow, they either grow new stalks and they move, or some kinds of xenia spread when they touch rocks around it. The pulsating xenia that we have, spread by touching the rock around it.

T

tampausmc

Originally Posted by seannmelly
As stated above, clove polyps and anthelia grow by creating somewhat of a mat. Xenia has stalks that grow, they either grow new stalks and they move, or some kinds of xenia spread when they touch rocks around it. The pulsating xenia that we have, spread by touching the rock around it.

I'm guessing you purchased some anthelia......creeping mat is the key identifier when trying to differentiate from Anthelia and Xenia....i guess some order of clavularia could be mistaken as well.....