pulsing xenia ?

saltyj

I bought some pulsing xenia a few months ago and a lot of you told me that it would spread like wildfire. Well it is healthy and pulsing away, but it has not spread at all. Any suggestions? I dose the tank with ocean blend.

cope787

the xenias will only expand if they are touching a large area and if you lighting is good. if they are just sitting on the rock they came from, not surrounded by anything they will not blossom.

saltyj

I have 240 watts on a 75gal. 2 actinics and two whites. I will try and move it next to other rocks.

bdhough

Do you dose some iodine? They need it....I started with one very tiny one and it turned into 6 in 4 months.... Thats with lots of changes in tanks....

chinnyr

I found,and still do ,that no matter how much they are isolated they will find ways to move.Mine was on a small rock and streached about 4" to reach a nearby rock.Also,I have seen them appear to melt and drop off tips.The tips will blow around the tank and start up new colonies.Mine did'nt take off until they were in the tank for about 3 or 4 months.I use 440w vho lighting and not too strong of a current.I never dose with anything and they have been doing great.Here is a pic of the mother colony before I moved 3 weeks ago.

reeflooker

Xenia are weeds from hell. Do yourself a favor and remove it now! Don't wait untill tomorrow, do it now! I mean right now!
I understand that they go sexual and die off. I'm praying for mine go get horny real soon.
Good luck - Reeflooker

j21kickster

I dont think anyone has mentioned this yet- the common xenias spread fast- read sea varieties like the pom pom stay in one large mass- and get larger but spread more slowly- not all xenias are weeds- the common brown ones are the worst

y2says

I actually like mine spreading to other rocks and into the glass. If it grows too fast why don't you just trade it with your lfs and get credit for it?