Pump as loud as an F-16

dale-fish

Ok so its not exactly as loud as an F-16 but pretty close. It's a tiny submersible pump that makes this "ERRRRRRR" sound that is really annoying and loud. It's not conitnious but pretty close. I have had noiseproblems with this pump in the past but not as bad as this. Anyone have any idea how to quite the thing? I'm think perhaps debris is caught in the pump... it doesnt have a filter on it because its one of those ones that just has tiny slots to let the water in.
Any help would be much appreciated! Cause its in my door room and I'm constantly beside it lol.

dale-fish

It's a Rio Aqua Pump/ Powerhead 400
I moved it lower down in my tank and it stopped making those noises. I'm almost positive it wasnt experiencing cavitation where it orginally sat so I have no idea why it was making those sounds but at least it stopped! Its only like a month old so I dont think I needs to be clean it.

light10977

Originally Posted by Dale-Fish
Ok so its not exactly as loud as an F-16 but pretty close. It's a tiny submersible pump that makes this "ERRRRRRR" sound that is really annoying and loud. It's not conitnious but pretty close. I have had noiseproblems with this pump in the past but not as bad as this. Anyone have any idea how to quite the thing? I'm think perhaps debris is caught in the pump... it doesnt have a filter on it because its one of those ones that just has tiny slots to let the water in.
Any help would be much appreciated! Cause its in my door room and I'm constantly beside it lol.
Well I would say get rid of that thing if it sounds like a f-16. I work on those things and when I get home I don't want to hear them anymore.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by light10977
Well I would say get rid of that thing if it sounds like a f-16. I work on those things and when I get home I don't want to hear them anymore.

Me too, F-15's.
My overflow sounds like a mule that won't start.

scsinet

Frankly, Rio pumps are total junk. You likely have shot bearings, a thrown impeller blade, or something caught in it. Cleaning it may help, moving it down like you said may help, it may do it again, it may not.
Good Advice: Get yourself a new pump NOW. Buy a Danner Mag Drive or for an in tank powerhead, use Maxi-Jet. Retire that Rio to "spare pump duty." If it's making a racket like that, it's days are probably numbered. If that thing fails and you don't have a replacement on hand, you'll be in a sort of "pants down" scenario, and'll be stuck paying LFS prices.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Good Advice: Get yourself a new pump NOW. Buy a Danner Mag Drive or for an in tank powerhead, use Maxi-Jet. Retire that Rio to "spare pump duty." If it's making a racket like that, it's days are probably numbered. If that thing fails and you don't have a replacement on hand, you'll be in a sort of "pants down" scenario, and'll be stuck paying LFS prices.
I agree, don't want to pay LFS prices. I paid $47 for a Maxi-jet 900 at LFS here and bought 2 of them!!! :mad: I found them online and ordered 5 for $17 each, returned the 2 from LFS. They were pissed, but not as much as me when I found out how much they overcharged.