pump leaking

cj7eagle

I have a reeflo snapper and just got it hooked up. It seems to be leaking from the input and outlet. I used teflon tape on the fittings. Is there something i can do to stop the leaking, or do i have to redo the plumbing around the pump? Its already glued together so i am hoping that isnt the case.

ameno

If it's leaking around the threaded fittings, it's probably because teflon tape does not work well on pvc or plastic threads. You can use some good plumbers putty and that should stop the leak, just be careful and not get it to close to the end of the threads, put it on the male part a little back from the start of the threads and that should keep it from getting back into your system.

ameno

BTW if it's all glued, you should go back and add a union on each side, that way you can remove the pump or tightin the connections if needed.

cj7eagle

well i do have union ball valves on either side of the pump, but the union to the threads are glued. so those pieces are set at the angles they need to be at. I took them apart again, and retaped them. I did 3 layers of tape as opposed to the 1 layer i had before. I also put a bead of silicone around the connection from the pvc and the pump in hopes that would stop any water the tape doesnt.

trippkid

Agree with Ameno, unions should be used on all equipment that may need to be removed at some point(cleaning,failures,etc.). May need to use some Ball valves also to shut water off to those areas when removing something. I've never had any issues with using tape, make sure you use enough, not just one or two wraps around. Or try the putty.
Matt

ameno

I just finish a whole house addition and was using tape on the pvc connections, probably one in six did not leak, and no matter what I did I could not get the leaks stopped. I talk with one of my piping contractors and was told teflon and pvc or plastic just doesn't seal well. I bought the putty and everything sealed first try. From now on anything with pressure I will not use teflon.

trippkid

Yes, for my house plumbing that is what I use also,(55psi), we don't have those types of pressure in the tank, plus the water is moving all of the time, no faucet like stoppage(even if there is, the head pressure just isn't there). I have places to add equipment that are plugged off, they don't leak either. Never had any problems with those types of leaks in 20+yrs. Either one should work for you. Not trying to battle here, just my opinion. Usually people just don't use enough tape.

Matt

ameno

I agree, we don't have as much pressure on or tanks, there probably will be a good amount on this pump though, between pressure and volume it's gona need a good seal. I guess well see if enough tape will fix it. Sometimes the threads are not perfect on the pvc and that can cause it to leak also. Just make sure the tape is put on going with the thread.
Hey we don't battle, We just share openions

trippkid

Rock on, Ameno, I know, we have a good re pore, just making sure not to step on your feet. Opinions can be construed as offensive to some, you know I'm sure.

I hope your fix holds for you, I'm guessing it should. I always wrap the threads at least 4 or 5 times around. Next time you'll know a little bit better and shouldn't happen again.

Matt