Pump on Refugium

cwhite

I am putting in a 20 gallon refugium on my 120 reef tank. I need a pump that is strong enough to push the water up about 4-5 feet. Is there any sort of rule for this? I just didn't want to get one to powerful because I wanted to keep the water flow to a fairly slow rate. Any suggestions?

old hermit

i just set up a 10 gal refugium and got a mag 7 pump since i dint know how much my overflow could handel. then on the tubing going back from the pump to the tank i put a ball valve on it to limit the flow to where i wanted it. the only thing is i dont know if restricting the flow from the pump with the ball valve is going to hurt the pump. maybe someone else will know and help you more. hth

I have a 14 gallon rubber maid container that I use for my refugium. It overflows into a 10 gallon sump. I have a CPR overflow that can provide up to 600 gph to my sump and refugium. I then have a mag 5 pump in my sump that returns the water to the tank. I want a slow water flow through my refugium so I use a T fitting and a ball valve on my PVC pipe that comes from my CPR overflow. Most of the water goes directly to my sump while a trickle goes into my refugium and then overflows into the sump. As far as pump size, you just need a pump that has an output that is less the the output of your overflow, otherwise your pump will push more water than it receives and it will run dry.