Pump question

emmitt2

I/m starting to plan my sump/fuge for my 180g. Its going to be 75 gallons but my question is:
what is better an internal or external pump for the sump?

fedukeford

they both are good, ive heard internals tend to run quieter (im not sure, ive never had an external) but internals also can cause heat issues, its probly easier to run an internal b/c you dont have to put bulkheads on the side of the tank like you have to for externals

emmitt2

Thats what i was thinking. I'm not really worried too much about heat issues. Actually, I was going to see if between the pumps and lights , i could get away with a really small heater and just have the equipment heating the water.
Will that work?
Any suggestions for a internal pump for a 180g?

fishy7

From the other side:
I have 2 external pumps. They are pretty quiet. I went with exteral for a few reasons in order:
1) dependable.
2) high water turnover
3) no heating issues
4) economic

chris57

i don' use pumps at all to circulate the water i use a very powerfull fan and a air pump. it does a great job on my 55 gallon tank but the larger the tank the more powerfull the fan and air pump must be. and it cost less then powerheads do and there is no chance of the system getting clogged or breaking down from the water because it uses the power of air. i got the i dea from the ocean its self i remembered that wind creates waves and i started experimenting and i found it actually worked.