pump selection for protein skimmer

redfirecracker

Help. My protein skimmer quit making very many bubbles. I believe the problem lies in the pump (age unknown). It is an odd brand and marked 2000 liter/hour (about 500 gph). It has a

[hr]
where an tube draws in air and it has what appears to be a restrictor where the pump draws water in.
Can someone tell me which pump would be a good replacement? I guess it needs to have the port on the side to connect an air tube and a restrictor on the water intake?
I see some RIO models with an RVT in the model name. These don't appear to have enough flow, however.
Thanks a lot!

bradscott40

I had the same problem so-
I purchased a Rio 2100 flow rate 692 gph for 36.00. working great so far on my berlin protein skimmer. if you are interested check it out at www.**************.com there prices are excellent and service is very good.

redfirecracker

Thanks.
I finally stumbled upon a picture that matches my skimmer (it's an aqua medic) and found out that the 2100 is the recommended pump.

toddpolish

stay away from RIO (potential oil leaks), search this board. heed the warnings.
go with a Mag 7 - much better reputation.

redfirecracker

Well maybe we should all sue TAAM inc. for false advertising because their web site specifically states that oil contamination is not possible because there is there is NO OIL IN RIO PUMPS. ;)
http://www.riopump.com/pages/aquapump.html
I personally own two Mag 7s (and they are good and quiet and flow like crazy). I've taken apart several different brands of pumps (yes even RIO pumps) and they are all magnetic. There is no reason for oil. This is an urban legend maybe based on a very old technology pump that broke somewhere 20 years ago. Look for yourself.
Are RIOs cheaper? Yep. Do you get what you pay for? Yep. But I'm going to bet that this RIO can pump air bubbles into a skimmer.

guppie

I you have the turbofloator 1000 sump type go with the ocean runner pump made by the same company, I just switch mine 2 months ago and what a difference, the rio was loud and I can not hear the new pump, and the skimmer works alot better now. The foot print with the new pump is a little bigger so make sure you have enough room.