Pump Size for 75 gallon

true74

I am in need of a new pump currently I have a Mag 5 on my 75 gallon tank and it has finally worn its self out. Also I don't think I'm getting the enough flow from the Mag 5, so I want to upgrade the pump. I have been looking at the Mag 7 and the Mag 9.5, I just don't know if the Mag 9.5 will be too much for my single overflow to handle and if the Mag 7 is enough. If there are an changes or recommendation anyone can make please let me know.

fanker

if its a aga than i think the overflow can take 1500, but if u have a sump/fuge than u want water to go slow so it filters out better, i would stay with a 5 and maybe a 7

f14peter

I suspect that if it's an AGA w/overflow, each each rated at 600gph and a 75 would have one overflow.
It's my understanding that you want your gph at the head to be close to, but not exceeding the overflow capacity.
Some sites that sell pumps, as well as the manufacturer's sites, have flow-charts indicating headloss. Calculate your run from pump (height and distance) to tank output and then compare to the charts to determine what your headloss will be and select pump from there.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by fanker
really mine said 1300 for my 55g
Not doubting you just curious how many overflows, and what's the hole size in the overflows?

fanker

55g 1 overflow, and a 1" exit and 3/4" return, it said on my sticker and the store i got it from said 1300gph, but idk ill check aga's website

acrylic51

I don't think it's possible for a 1" drain to carry 1300gph.....I'd have to put the calc on that one.....What is the dimension on the overflow box 6"x6"?

acrylic51

Looking and using the calc you would need roughly 20 linear inches of skimming area and a 1.49" bulkhead hole to handle 1300gph.......I don't think you have 20 linear inches.....

true74

Well I ended up ordering the Mag 7, i figured after it went up 4 ft it would be just under 600gph. Thanks for the help.

f14peter

Originally Posted by true74
Well I ended up ordering the Mag 7, i figured after it went up 4 ft it would be just under 600gph. Thanks for the help.
The site run by the two doctors has the Mag charts on the page listing the pumps.
I got an M7, and the headloss at 4' puts the flow somewhere around 450gph. The M9.5 is still putting out a healthy 800gph at 4'.

acrylic51

If you can open the pump up by running 1" line instead of the smaller sized of the pump......let it breath....