Pump size?

broomer5

Steve,
In addition to the desired water turnover - knowing what your overflow is rated for, is one of the most important considerations when selcting your return pump.
Drilled tank ?
External U tube overflow ?
Drain line size ?
Etc.
Without knowing this up front - it's very hard to select the right pump. If not done right - you can flood the floor.
If undersized - you can also create a situation where air bubbles can become entrapped in the U tube ( if using an external overflow ).
Can you describe your overflow and sump plans in more detail ??

E

elan

i have a 135 with a built in overflow with a one inch pipe going to my sump. I installed two in sump pumps which return about 1800 gallons an hour. here is my expereince.
one, the one inch pipe can handle that amount of water.
two, with that much water going through, it makes an awful lot of noice as it sucks in air when the water goes down (sounds like a bathroom toilet). I tried making a DIY noice reduction, but any way i go around it, aiir still gets sucked in creating a noise.
three, when i turn off one pipe to get 900gph, it makes much less sound.
four, when i want to watch TV or have people over, i have to unplug one of the pipes so we dont have to hear the tank make all that noise,
five, with the addition of hte second pump in the sump, my temp raised about 1-2 degrees.

klbjr

DOES IT MAKE NOISE FROM THE OVERFLOW IF SO DID YOU TRY THE DURSO STANDPIPE WORKS GREAT FOR MOST PEOPLE!!

rane

Broomer,
I have two hang on overflows with one U tube in each, is this enough? or should I put 2 U tubes in each I have 1" pipe going from the Hang on to the sump, also what pump do you recommend?
one more thing how do you get the water from your refuge to your tank

broomer5

elan,
Expecting the single 1" drainline to handle 1800 gallons of water per hour ( 30 gallons per minute ) ( 1/2 gallon per second ) .. I don't believe there is a practical way to reduce that noise.
That's a lot of water - and the drainline must vent.
Is there possible way to increase the pipe size from the drain bulkhead to the sump ?
That may help somewhat ... maybe.
RANE,
I'm not sure I follow you question exactly. Sounds like you have two independent external overflows .. right ?
Each with a 1" drain ?
A very general rule of thumb is that a 1" drain can safely handle around 700 gph. A single 1-1/4" U tube is pretty standard for these type of oveflows too.
The rate at which water will drain out of the outer box into the drainline is not always dependant on the rate at which the water flows "into" the external box.
In other words - the design of the overflow itself, and the difference in water level between the display tank and the level in the outer box dictates the flowrate up and over the U tube.
Adding two U tubes may not do squat .. but it all depends.
In my thinking .. the safe thing to try would be to keep the single U tube in each overflow .... base each on 700 gph ..... and then size either one single larger return pump, or two smaller return pumps to deliver the total 1400 gph for the entire system.
Having two smaller pumps allow for some "high" flow "lower" flow possibilities .. which can be nice at feeding time, or set on pump on a timer to make for some varying circulation/turnover.
I like having two return pumps for this reason ..... in addition to knowing that if one pump craps out .. I can still run the other one until a replacement is purchased, or the old one is repaired, etc.
I run a dual 1400 gallon overflow on my 75.
I run a Mag7 and a Mag9.5
The 9.5 runs 24/7
The 7 is set up on a timer
Works pretty well for me. Others may think differently.
Can you describe your set up in greater detail ?
Maybe start a new thread for you conditions ?
Just a thought ;)