pump the sump

skortzy

i am in the process of building my own sump. What kind of return pump should i get? at what kind of flow rate? I read that rio pumps are no good! i need to use a submersible pump in my design. i'm using a 20 all-glass aquarium, in it will be a berlin turbo skimmer, two 200 watt heaters. also what kind of over flow siphon should i use? at what fow rate? this is going to be running to a 55gal aquarium. on the end of the return line i am put a home-made spray bar on it. how many power heads do i need for in side the tank? what type work the best? at what flow rate? any advice would be appreciated! thankx in advance! :confused:

q

I would do a mag 7 or mag 9. It depends on how much head preasure you have. Then run a couple of or three maxjet 600 or 900's.
In my 75 I have a mag 12 going and then 2 maxjet 600's and soon to have 2 maxjet 900's.
I am assuming that you will have a ball valve on the output of the pump to regulate flow to match your overflow.
The 900's can push prety good across the lenght of the tank while the 600's are a good bit milder in the long range water movement but if you have an area you wish to increase flow in they do really well without blowing stuff around.