Pump vibration question

wintrmte

All,
In my ongoing paranoia of having our sump glass crack again, I am concerned that the vibration from our return pump in our sump may be too much for the glass to handle. I have placed some clear rubbed tubes underneath the pump, but the vibration is still pretty strong.
By strong, I am referring to the fact that I can feel a small vibration on the floor when I stand in from of the tank, and if i place my hands on the sump glass, I can feel the vibration as well.
The vibration isn't agressive, but it's equivalent to what you would imagine a small "humming" sound to be.
Any thoughts on how I can tone this down? Am I being too paranoid? Is there a different pump I should be using? The one I have now is a MagFlow 2400gph pump.
Thanks!

acrylic51

I take it your running a submersible pump? What kind of pump? The pump might hum which is normal for a pump to have a hum, but when you say vibration I'm picturing it vibrating up and down or moving violently.......Can you actually see it move?

wintrmte

Originally Posted by acrylic51
I take it your running a submersible pump? What kind of pump? The pump might hum which is normal for a pump to have a hum, but when you say vibration I'm picturing it vibrating up and down or moving violently.......Can you actually see it move?
It's a MagFlow pump (2400gph). No, I don't see it moving at all, so it's not a violent vibration. The best thing I can equate it to is if you hum loudly, that's the kind of vibration I'm referring to.

acrylic51

They will hum and some are louder than others......The best you can do is try to insulate the pump off the bottom of the sump a bit......what type of plumbing are you using as well? Certain types of plumbing can magnify the hum or noise as well.

wintrmte

Originally Posted by acrylic51
They will hum and some are louder than others......The best you can do is try to insulate the pump off the bottom of the sump a bit......what type of plumbing are you using as well? Certain types of plumbing can magnify the hum or noise as well.
Yeah, I think I might try the route of using high desnity foam underneath the pump. Do you know if local hardware stores carry it? I called one and they said they don't. Just wondering where I can find some, or is there better material to use.
The plumbing is all PVC, which I know will magnify things a bit.

acrylic51

If your referring to the big thick 3/4" or 1" foam you can get that at Lowes or HD, and I know I've seen rubber matting material as well in about the same area......Have you tried with the system running to grab your plumbing and see if any of the noise is negated?

joncat24

I have a mag 18 in my fuge and it rattled a bit too. I used some heavy filter floss to set it on and now you can hardly hear it running...Hope this helps

cgrant

I took a one of those tube-like filters that you would use on a hob overflow and cut it in half, I have a magdrive 24 pump and then put the filter pad under the pump.
A professional pic included!

wintrmte

Great pic!
I did take some high density foam and place it around the pump. What a difference!!! Thank you all for the suggestions.