Puppies are due on the 15th!!!!

maxalmon

My little boxer "Shadow" is due to give birth on the 15th.... We take her later this week for a full body x-ray to see how many little pups to expect. I'm guessing 8. I'll post a more recent pic, she's huge. Shadow is the one in Front.

efishnsea

They are great dogs, in college my roomate had a boxer , she actually found it on the highway :notsure: .....anyway congrats and I hope all goes well for her
:cheer: ....

renogaw

how are these dogs for people with pet allgergies? one of my customers just got one and it was cute, but my wife is generally allergic to any dog other than a spitz breed.

maxalmon

Dad is from another breeder, the sire is a huge German boxer...Flash and Suzy (background) are retired and enjoying old age!!!
Funny story, the 1st male we tried to mate her with was a little young and wasn't sure what to do, he was totally clueless and just wanted to play (not the right way)
I can't believe I'm telling people this, I was in the backyard & I lined him up behind Shadow, then I picked up his front paws and put them on her back and was trying to show him what to do (sometimes this works with young males) I even grabbed his behind and kinda was moving him back and forth and I looked over and there were a bunch of golfers just cracking up watching me do this, I wanted to die.
His owner was crushed that his little boy couldn't perform, seriously he took it personal, so we had a backup male that worked out fine..

nixis

Congrats! I bread dogs also well, chihuahua's but its so fun having puppies around. Good luck :cheer:

maxalmon

Shadow just had a full body x-ray to make sure there were no complications, fluid pockets, air pockets, abnormal pups etc.. And everything is PERFECT

We were taking bets about how many pups and nobody was even close, she's got NINE pups. Wow......
The vet was really impressed with how healthy she is, I'm a dog food guru and considered to be somewhat of an expert in canine nutrition here in Vegas (it's what I do for a living) So she get's lots of cottage cheese, chicken thighs, WELLNESS dry food, Evangers canned food, banannas, Honest Kitchen dehydrated (best food in the world) and lots raw food (B.A.R.F diet which stands for bones and raw food)

anubisxero

WOW. 9 puppies!!?? Amazing. She's a gorgeous dog. My wife and I have been hoping to breed our boxer. She'll be 2 in October. She's a beautiful brindle and we've been wanting to get at the very least 1 litter out of her.

maxalmon

Finally,...Shadow gave birth to her pups last night, had to have an emergency c-section, but mom and pups are doing OK..... She had 11 but we lost 2
Anything more than 7 is a lot of pups for a boxer

triga22

Awww.. How cute... I want one! Too bad it wouldnt get along with my other dog. When do they clip the tails?

A

anmldr

Congrats on the new puppies, It is not very common that Boxers have problems giving birth.

maxalmon

It's rare for them to have 11 pups, she was so exhausted by the 5th pup that she simply didn't have the energy to continue. Another part of the problem was that with 11 pups her belly was swollen and she stopped eating day and half before due to it being uncomfortable, she even had problems breathing due to her lungs didn't have enough room to expand. She was
x-rayed 3 days prior to check for potential problems, gas pockets etc... And nothing was found. Before deciding on the C-Section she was given 3 injections to induce contractions, normally 1 or 2 will work on a mom that has no problems (head size vs birth canal, breach etc). Shadow was give 3 and still had no energy to contract so the decision was made to do the C-section. Anemia was another huge problem, she lost a lot of blood, another problem with having so many pups is a condition of depleated calcium levels in the mom which can be lethal. She gets 1 cup of cottage cheese, half a cup of plain yogurt, boiled chicken, brown rice and wellness puppy food both canned and dry.