Purchasing fish: Internet or LFS?

effishient

I haven't made any fish purchases yet and I'm trying to get an idea of various people's experiences with buying fish either online or from a local store. The prices I've seen (on this website for instance) seem on average about 50% cheaper than those of my LFS. What are your recommendations or experiences?
Matt

aarone

depends, I like to buy from an LFS but they never have what i want. When i want something special i go to the internet. The only downside is you cant observe your fish before you buy, so you have to hope they are quality livestock.
aaron

effishient

That's a good point about not being able to observe the fish beforehand. Also, I really like my LFS and want to give him my business. Have you (or anyone else) actually had any experience buying online? Is it something you'd do again, or does it just depend?
Thanks... Matt

aarone

I just received my order of a 6 line wrasse and a watchman goby.
First fish order online, and it was good.
Most places will insulate the packaging. The only downside is the shipping is more stressful on the fish. When they arrive and you acclimate them, they may not be active for a few days. Most places have a arrive alive guarantee. They will also guarantee for like 10 days afterwards.
aaron

hattrick58

LFS is the best way. The selection is limited, but most of them will order what you want and it's still cheaper than on-line after you pay the outrageous shipping costs.

dacia

My LFS doesn't have any kind of guarantee on livestock, so if a fish dies within 3 days, OH WELL. I like the fact that when you order from swf.com they make sure that the fish is alive when you get it and stays that way for a few days or you get credit on something else.
Shipping is free from this website, and I believe that if you order some cleaners to go along with the fish that you want, you can easily make up the difference for the minimum order.
I ordered my new cleaning crew a couple of days ago and acclimated them this morning. They are all doing fantastic, and they look even better than some of the inverts that I have bought from my LFS!

liz50138

I don't like the minimum order on here, and also like to observe my fish before i buy them. Even though most online places have a guarantee anyways, still a pain to re order and could possibly spread disease through your tank (if you don't have a quarantine.)

nm reef

I prefer to visually check my fish prior to purchase...but in the past couple of months I have ordered a few fish from our host...both are healthy and thriving. I got a foxface lo a couple of months ago and recently got a very nice lawnmower blenny. Both were ordered with a clean-up crew and there is a $75 minimum. But that also gets you a free shipping which makes it worth while to spend the $75. I normally suppliment my clean-up crews a few times a year and will consider adding a fish on future orders.

Website recently updated...visit and tell me what ya think.
Home of
New Mexico Reef

Send questions and comments to the address below.
nmreef@cox.net

moopiespoo

I like to give my favorite LFS business and they can usually order what I want. I have ordered fish from SWF.com and they all arived healthy and looked good. Certain equipment I have had to order online, such as my refractometer and I have so far always been satisfied.

S

slofish

I like to get my fish from my LFS. I usually check them out on different days before buying to make sure its healthy. If your looking for a specific size you want your fish to start at, i would suggest your LFS. I think a lot of what you get online is usually pretty small. Ive noticed a lot of them have tangs that are about 2" in size when they're shipped and most other fish are fairly small too. If you dont mind the shipping and want cheaper prices, go with online buying.

popoty

I have only bought Live Rock on the net, and was very pleased w/it.
As for fish and coral, I am much like most here--like to see its condition before i purchase it.
I would buy a cleanup crew also from an online retailer.