purchasing pods

gesswhosbak

Ok so here is the deal, I bought a scooter blenny from (a non disclosed petstore chain) thinking that I would rescue him. I put him in my 29, been set up for well over 2 years now. I didnt realize until after reading some on here that their main diet is pods. I do have a substatial pod population but am worried about him eating them all...(if possible). I also read some post where they got theirs to eat prepared or frozen food, I havent tried that yet but if it works all the better.
OK here to my question, I have found some websites that offer pods in a 4 oz. bottle that they will ship. Seapods i think is the name...just wondering if this is worth the touble..and any overall opinions and suggestions about these and my new blenny. Thanks.

ericp2311

Getting your scooter blenny to accept frozen foods would be most beneficial!
My SB takes frozen Formulas One and Two...have you tried these?
Also, fish LOVE Brine Shrimp...try getting some of this frozen. It would be a good way to wean him onto a prepared diet.
Eric

gesswhosbak

I do have some formula one i am going to try when i get home, if he takes that good if not ill try some brine..thanks!

trainfever

I have a scooter blennie and I feed him live brine shrimp and live black worms. I also have a refugium so he gets his share of pods, but he does go nuts over the brine shrimp.

oceana

Originally Posted by gesswhosbak
where can i get live brine from?

at just about any LFS i have ever been to. That rings true for most areas i would think

rberhow

Can you tell me, how do you feed your scooter blenny? Do they just eat what falls to the bottom? Our scooter will "hop" right over the food and not even touch it. We have mysis and have also tried formula one. All he does is clean the sand and rock and I have no clue if we have any pods in our tank. We don't have a refugium and our tank is only a couple of months old. There are some white things floating in the water though, are these pods?

birdy

There is a lot of people (me included) who believe that even though scooters and mandarins may eat frozen foods these simply do not give these animals the nutrition they need to survive long term. I have heard countless people say, how their mandarin or scooter eats brine or mysis and then several months down the road that same fish is dying and very thin. I highly encourage anyone with these pod eating fish to have a large refugium with a good pod population.
If you cannot set up a fuge then buying the pods is you next best bet, just be sure they are live.

gesswhosbak

so are those seapods you can get online from various places worth the 20 bucks to get them , if not can you recommend any other places?

birdy

I would prefer to just get a cup of sand or a handful of macro algae from a fellow reefers refugium (both are usually teeming with pods). see if your LFS has Pods available that way. We have a very generous local group who is more than willing to pass the wealth around, finding a local group is invaluable IMO.

gesswhosbak

looks like the SB does indeed like the formula one, he didnt really pick it out of the water column but once it landed he would poick at the pieces on the sand bed...I read online somewhere that pods do have more fatty acids essential for fish then other frozen foods, so for the time being I will be soaking my food with some Zoecon. If I notice that this wont help ill have to run to the LFS and get some sand hopefully populated with some more pods..or order some of those seapods...

mudplayerx

You can raise brine shrimp yourself very easily in a jar without any kind of filtration or lighting. A container with about a billion eggs will cost you about $8 at a lfs. The only problem is that brine shrimp have almost no nutritional value. You are best to either raise or order live copepods/amphipods.

tthemadd1

I would go and buy some type of macroalgae to put in you fuge with a light. I used a cheap plant light from one of the hardware stores. Once you start growing the macro in the fuge you will see an increase in pods and cleaner water. Also the macro is a good food source for your fish. IMO though most of the pod eaters should not be kept in any tank smaller than 55-75 depending on the fish. Did you put Live Sand in the tank or just a plain sand? Live sand has more life in it already and will help to mature your tank faster. If not LS dont worry and get a few scoops from you LFS. Just remember that LFS ususally put chemicals in their sand to help with ich and other diseases, so if you do get sand from the LFS get it out of the tanks with inverts/corals. These tanks do not have any added chems and you will be much better off. Good Luck
Themadd1