Purchasing tank, would a 155 bowfront or 144 half cylinder look distorted (curved)

af330i

My good buddy was advising against a half cylinder because the curved glass of the tank would make the fish look distorted.
I love the look of the 144 half cylinder but would also consider a 155 bow front though that glass is curved as well.
If a rectangle tank would be the way to get the clearest view of the fish than that is the route I'd take ...
Please give me your advice .... thanks

airforceb2

I have a unique curved tank and it really doesn't distort the view too much. If you are concentrating on a specific thing and move your head, it will mess with your mind a little bit but well worth the look IMO.

blemmy_guy

Bow Fronts i my opinion are really awesome!! They look bigger than they are!! But Airforce has a really cool tank kinda s shaped! Goodluck
Todd

ophiura

What sort of fish are you looking to keep? If you want big, active fish, then I would go with the longest tank you could get. I love the half round, but I would prefer it for a reef or so, and not larger fish.
I am also a bit on the fence yet with those Oceanic half cylinder tanks. They have had some issues in the past with the bowfronts that I think have been worked out a bit more over time. But those half cylingers are brand spanking new for the most part. I don't know how their longer term performance is yet. :notsure:
If you are in Houston I know a place that has one of those half cylinders set up
Very interesting looking tank, for sure.

ebaybrad

curved glass makes the tank look like the kid in elementary school with the thick glasses.
PS
Please change your name to af6 or afa6
thank you
a rectangle tank gives the clearest, most unobstructed view of the fish from any angle or height.
Bowed and curved tanks will distort a little...particularly if you are not stationary or looking straight on.
Anyone disagree?
I have a 92 corner...it is great...just a small penalty with the slight distortion.
get the 155 already...It will be fine...and you get 5 more gallons than the rectangle 150.
PPS...you have too many fish in your tank

scubadoo

half cylinders present limitations. If you are going to set-up a reef lighting is an issue due to the depth of the system. The surface area is also limited for exhange. It cannot provide the 6 feet of swimming space required for some species....presenting yet another limitation.
I purchased a used 175 bow front and beleive it provides the best as far as options. Not too deep , provides 6 feet of swimming space and has a larger surface area for exchange. It also provides the curved front to break up the straight lines and provides some of the look of the half cylinder.
I do like the half cylinders...but not sure I presonally would be happy with one based on the limitations. it presents.
JMO

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
half cylinders present limitations. If you are going to set-up a reef lighting is an issue due to the depth of the system. The surface area is also limited for exhange. It cannot provide the 6 feet of swimming space required for some species....presenting yet another limitation.
I purchased a used 175 bow front and beleive it provides the best as far as options. Not too deep , provides 6 feet of swimming space and has a larger surface area for exchange. It also provides the curved front to break up the straight lines and provides some of the look of the half cylinder.
I do like the half cylinders...but not sure I presonally would be happy with one based on the limitations. it presents.
JMO
I'm looking at this 175 oceanic bow front with all set up, refugium, sump, aqua space light, and the whole nine yards all for $850, the bad thing is I have to drive 3 hrs to pick it up. Seriously thinking about it though..... :happyfish

af330i

Thanks for the info everyone ... the tank will be a fish only tank and I like my fish to be on the smaller side.
I think I am leaning towards a 140 rectangle because pricewise it is a bargain in comparison to the 155 bow front.
I still love the 144 cylinder but until I see one set up so I can see what type of distortion people are talking about I really can't make a decision for or against one.

af330i

Originally Posted by ebaybrad
PS
Please change your name to af6 or afa6
A name change would be nice but I will wait for you to change yours first ... how about BR-G35 or even better 'ILikeNeighborsToLiveRightNextToMe' or possibly 'crowdsR4meWhenAtHome' or my favorite 'ILikeaDrivewayThatfits1car'

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
I'm looking at this 175 oceanic bow front with all set up, refugium, sump, aqua space light, and the whole nine yards all for $850, the bad thing is I have to drive 3 hrs to pick it up. Seriously thinking about it though..... :happyfish
I paid 1,000 for mine....and I also had them deliver it. I paid for the rental truck and gave them money for their time.
Those set-ups (175 bow) new run 3500-5K depending on where you shop. The only thing I need to do is replace the front trim piece. I used to be a carpenter so it is not a big deal. Set-up came with fish, etc. All still alive and doing fine.

mikeyjer

I paid 1,000 for mine....and I also had them deliver it. I paid for the rental truck and gave them money for their time.
Those set-ups (175 bow) new run 3500-5K depending on where you shop. The only thing I need to do is replace the front trim piece. I used to be a carpenter so it is not a big deal. Set-up came with fish, etc. All still alive and doing fine.
He just did another price drop, it's down to $600.00 now. It's not set up so it has no fish in it, needs a good cleaning and the stand needs to be rebuilt he says. You think I can find a better deal then that? The stand itself cost like $600-700 brand new if I went to buy one. It's got a canopy, aqua space light, sump, protein skimmer, etc. I have to drive like 3 hrs to go pick it up. I've seen a better set up here before for $1000 for a 180 gallon tank all set up with live rock and fish and everything came with it and it was closer to me. :happyfish

scubadoo

If you think you can get something cheaper then wait. If you want a used 175 bow front how often do you see them available for sale in your area ? I also have a 180 and prefer the look of the bow front.

mikeyjer

If you think you can get something cheaper then wait. If you want a used 175 bow front how often do you see them available for sale in your area ? I also have a 180 and prefer the look of the bow front.
I've never seen a 175 bow front for sale around here. They have all different sizes of tanks for sale in the paper here all the time though. :happyfish